Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That video did not prove anything. It was a benchmark with TRIM on and off. It didn't show two drives (one with TRIM on, and one with TRIM off) side by side, and how their performance fairs after a year of use...

Further, it's not likely that trimming has actually occurred during the run of the benchmark utility. There's far too much variation in speed in that video to conclude anything about how trim is affecting performance.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
That video did not prove anything.

Brilliant analysis, sir! Naturally, you could look for a better one. Unless, that is, you want to reach the conclusion that Apple enabled trim for their own SSDs for no reason at all! Yours is, undoubtedly, a significant contribution to clarify all these matters! Pure genius!

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Apple enabled trim for their own SSDs for no reason at all!

exactly. and the TRIM command was invented for no reason at all. this whole thing reminds me about the situation back in the early nineties when Apple's disk utility wouldn't format anything else than harddrives equipped with an Apple branded firmware...

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
That video did not prove anything. It was a benchmark with TRIM on and off. It didn't show two drives (one with TRIM on, and one with TRIM off) side by side, and how their performance fairs after a year of use... The very minor differences in benchmarks are just that - minor differences. It was a single benchmark, and not multiples which were averaged and compared. Even the description states that the difference is minor, if any.

There are lots of resources on the internet where you can find this information, try not to be lazy. TRIM is not just about performance, it also impacts on your SSD's endurance.

How about an in depth explanation of how TRIM works?
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/garbage-collection-and-trim-in-ssds-explained-an-ssd-primer/

Not enough? A comment from Intel.
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031242.htm

Still not good enough? How about in depth testing from Tom's Hardware?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-msata-review,3716-10.html

And if that still doesn't satisfy you then do your own jolly testing because nothing anyone says is going to change your mind.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I hadn't seen the Tom's Hardware test before, it neatly explains why I don't see any difference on Crucial SSD performance with/without TRIM enabled.

Don't forget enabling TRIM increases the life of your SSD because it's not doing so many write operations.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Don't forget enabling TRIM increases the life of your SSD because it's not doing so many write operations.

Hypothetically maybe but I can't see it in practical terms, my first SSD I had for 2yrs before replacing it due to space, DriveDX at the replacement point said its lifetime indicator was at 85% so roughly another 10-12 years - this was in use as a boot drive, heavy media drives with continual big write volumes may fair differently.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Hypothetically maybe but I can't see it in practical terms, my first SSD I had for 2yrs before replacing it due to space, DriveDX at the replacement point said its lifetime indicator was at 85% so roughly another 10-12 years - this was in use as a boot drive, heavy media drives with continual big write volumes may fair differently.

Sounds like you're a regular upgrader. The thing is if you have an iMac that you expect to last for five or so years and you hit your SSD hard (for whatever reason) then failure rates might come into play.

In some cases drives start having to reallocate sectors after writing only 100TB.
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I have an OWC SSD. the 480gb 6x pro. biggest and best one they make. I can honestly say that i really do NOT notice any difference when i enabled TRIM. but maybe its just me. I use an app called "TRIM Enabler"

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I can honestly say that i really do NOT notice any difference when i enabled TRIM.

You wouldn't normally notice any difference in read operations, unless you were trying to read right when the SSD happened to be doing garbage collection. Trim only affects the efficiency of garbage collection itself. Without it, the garbage collection process will actually copy invalid data (belonging to erased files) over to an unused block of cells, after which the cells with such rubbish will become available for regular writing, whereas, with trim, invalid data will be immediately recognised as such by the SSD itself, which means it won't be copied somewhere else when doing garbage collection. The net result is that there will be fewer writes to the SSD and the drive will theoretically last considerably longer.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like you're a regular upgrader. The thing is if you have an iMac that you expect to last for five or so years and you hit your SSD hard (for whatever reason) then failure rates might come into play.

In some cases drives start having to reallocate sectors after writing only 100TB.

If you run anything long enough it will expire. What Im saying is that there is no effective limit on practical SSD life any more than there was on HDD life. Most drives will be replaced (or the whole machine replaced), before the SSD wears out, just the same as with HDDs.

How long is 'only 100TB' of writes for you? The report makes it clear that all those SSDs lasted longer (much longer) than the specs called for.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

And normal Hard Drives are known to die in months of purchase. What is your point exactly? Drives die. Going through the hassle of enabling TRIM is not worth it. And if you are doing it just to make it last longer, it is even more pointless. SSDs are known to fail too. Keep backups of your data and you are fine. I had to RMA a brand new Hard Drive because it failed after ONE MONTH! And people keep saying HDDs are perfect for storage.

There is NO GUARANTEE that ANY hard drive you get will last 10+ years. Even 5+ years.

The ONLY noticeable difference with TRIM is benchmarks. My SSD is just as fast as the day I installed it.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
And normal Hard Drives are known to die in months of purchase. What is your point exactly? Drives die. Going through the hassle of enabling TRIM is not worth it. And if you are doing it just to make it last longer, it is even more pointless. SSDs are known to fail too. Keep backups of your data and you are fine. I had to RMA a brand new Hard Drive because it failed after ONE MONTH! And people keep saying HDDs are perfect for storage.

There is NO GUARANTEE that ANY hard drive you get will last 10+ years. Even 5+ years.

The ONLY noticeable difference with TRIM is benchmarks. My SSD is just as fast as the day I installed it.

Yep, well put. Its a difference that makes no difference. Backup and move on... :)

Reactions: NoBoMac

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

There is no hassle enabling TRIM support, install free TRIM Enabler, reboot, forget about it. It's so easy it's stupid not to take advantage of increased performance and durability no matter how small.

If that process changes in the future I'll re-examine it then, but until that time I'm sitting pretty.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
There is no hassle enabling TRIM support, install free TRIM Enabler, reboot, forget about it. It's so easy it's stupid not to take advantage of increased performance and durability no matter how small.

If that process changes in the future I'll re-examine it then, but until that time I'm sitting pretty.

Nah, I'll keep the kext signing feature enabled, no knowing when and how that might bite back...no sense turning off security for a nearly non-existant performance change IMHO...but YMMV

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Um, don't you need to disable kext signing? And don't you need to do something after every update? Sounds like a hassle to me. Not as simple as just installing something and you are set.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Um, don't you need to disable kext signing? And don't you need to do something after every update? Sounds like a hassle to me. Not as simple as just installing something and you are set.

TRIM Enabler disables kext signing for you (a feature which before Yosemite apparently wasn't required), automatically disables itself on an OS X update, and then pops up on next boot to turn it back on. I'm not so lazy I can't click a radio button and reboot when an OS X update is released every three months.

If you weren't aware that was the process then you can't have tried it.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
TRIM Enabler disables kext signing for you (a feature which before Yosemite apparently wasn't required), automatically disables itself on an OS X update, and then pops up on next boot to turn it back on. I'm not so lazy I can't click a radio button and reboot when an OS X update is released every three months.

If you weren't aware that was the process then you can't have used it.

Windows AV wasn't required once...until it suddenly was. Too late to say you will turn kext signing back on once your bank login details have gone...

But the users choice is clear. Security vs performance. The perceived gain in either case is different per user.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Windows AV wasn't required once...until it suddenly was. Too late to say you will turn kext signing back on once your bank login details have gone...

But the users choice is clear. Security vs performance. The perceived gain in either case is different per user.

And you still don't need anti virus on OS X so I'm not sweating it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

If you weren't aware that was the process then you can't have tried it.

There was a time where 128 or 256 bit encryption was not required. Now it is.

They add new security features for a reason. Just because it didn't exist before doesn't mean it is useless.

It is still a hassle having to activate it after every update.

What will you guys do if they make it impossible to disable it in a future OS X version?

You are basically disabling a security feature for very very very little differences.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
There was a time where 128 or 256 bit encryption was not required. Now it is.

Exactly. Kext signing is clearly aimed at kexts pretending to be Apple-originated. Presumably they didn't just dream the threat up, quite possibly a jail-broken iPhone route into OS X??? Who knows but I'd rather have a ever-so-slightly-slower but secure machine TBH.

Anyhow, done to death I think...

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Exactly. Kext signing is clearly aimed at kexts pretending to be Apple-originated. Presumably they didn't just dream the threat up, quite possibly a jail-broken iPhone route into OS X??? Who knows but I'd rather have a ever-so-slightly-slower but secure machine TBH.

Anyhow, done to death I think...

And TRIM doesn't make the SSD a million times better which is what all of these threads make it out to be. Even the benchmarks show very little difference.

People just make it seem like an SSD without TRIM is as slow as a HDD, and that TRIM makes it a million times faster.

The reality is, it offers extremely little performance gains.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
They add new security features for a reason. Just because it didn't exist before doesn't mean it is useless.

What, you mean like they invented TRIM for a reason and it's not useless?

It is still a hassle having to activate it after every update.

Hardly. If you think pressing a button and rebooting once every three months is a hassle then I can't help you.

What will you guys do if they make it impossible to disable it in a future OS X version?

If there is no work around then don't upgrade or stop using it. Obviously. Like I said, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
What, you mean like they invented TRIM for a reason and it's not useless?

Hardly. If you think pressing a button and rebooting once every three months is a hassle then I can't help you.

If there is no work around then don't upgrade or stop using it. Obviously. Like I said, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If you try to boot a Trim-enabled system with the kext-signing setting re-activated, you will be met by a gray screen with a stop sign:

To avoid this situation, you can make sure to disable Trim before performing any hardware maintenance or PRAM reset on your Mac.

FROM https://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

If you get that gray screen, you need to boot into recovery mode and do some terminal commands.

That is what is considered a hassle. Doing this for an extremely small benefit.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.