Trim, SSD's, Yosemite, Kelts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnh57, Dec 11, 2014.

1. johnh57, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

johnh57 macrumors regular

I went ahead and installed Cindori Trim on my MBP (mid 2010, Yosemite, 500gb 840 EVO with firmware update performed)

When will the trim/kext issues surface (i.e. the grey screen of death)?

Reboot? Reboot after an Apple update? I understand it happens if PRAM is reset (does that ever happen without resetting PRAM intentionally?)

In order to avoid the workarounds and restart protocols - when would one want to disable the trim?

Should one turn off autoupdates from apple if trim is enabled? Then disable trim and do periodic updates manually?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

I did read that. Nice article on how to recover from the gsd. I was/am trying to sort out the mechanics of using the trim enabler and avoid the gsd.

I did find a comment elsewhere in their foruns that you should disable autoupdates.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So far anyway, point OS updates like from 10.10.0 to 10.10.1 have just disabled TRIM and not caused the stop sign issue discussed at the link. So you just run the TRIM enabler again to turn it back on.

5. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I've disabled all but the notifications.

Can anything reset PRAM other than a manual reset?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not without running a Terminal command like those executed by the TRIM enabler ap. But normal apps would not be able to do that.

If a Mac firmware update was released, I would be cautious about doing that without disabling.