TRIM support for 128GB Crucial M4 in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hyperipod, Jun 17, 2012.

1. hyperipod macrumors member

After installing my SSD, I enabled TRIM support with TRIM enabler, but a friend told me not to do so because it used an old kernel extension and my disk maybe had built-in TRIM support.

I Google'd a lot and I still don't know if I should enable TRIM with a software solution...

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Here is a solution that does it without using an older .kext:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I have used this on my system and it works fine. You need to re-do the process after a new release, i.e. from 10.7.3 >> 10.7.4.

Some will argue that you do not need Trim enabled at all as the drive will take care of it's own clean-up. But, my thought is if Apple enables Trim, then I am going to enable Trim.

3. hyperipod thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I installed it and it fixed another of my problems: my Mac was taking 20 seconds to shutdown. Now it takes 1!

4. hyperipod thread starter macrumors member

Actually it didn't solve my problem (20 sec. shutdown). I think I'll have to start another thread related to this problem some day...

5. imorton macrumors 6502

I too have the 20 second shutdown problem, and I thought that this Trim Enabler solved it, but I guess not... :(

If you start a thread about the shutdown problem, I will definitely follow it for a solution to the 20 second shutdown problem with Lion.

IAN.