TRIM support for Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SaleenS351, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

Does the new RMBP have trim support for SSD? How will you manage the SSD in the RMBP?

2. plazmic macrumors newbie

Yes TRIM is supported and enabled.

If by manage, you mean physically repair? Its using a proprietary chip that 3rd parties may or may not be able to manufacture compatible drives for. At this point, your only option for repair is through Apple directly.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, it would come enabled. I wonder what would happen when reformatting though. If you reinstall Mountain Lion from fresh, what happens with TRIM?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TRIM support happens at the OS level, i.e. if the OS supports it, it works. As far as I know, Mountain Lion supports TRIM as well (would be a huge drawback if it didn't). Of course you still need an SSD that supports TRIM but all modern SSDs do.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I read all the time of people who install a third party SSD have to enable TRIM. Wouldn't it be the same when reformatting, even if it is an Apple supplied one?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's because Apple has limited TRIM support to only their SSDs. A kext file needs to be edited so that TRIM is enabled for SSDs other than "APPLE SSD XXXXX". When you reinstall OS X, the kext file will also be replaced by the original version, which means you would have to re-enable TRIM if you have a third party SSD. For Apple SSDs, this isn't a problem because the kext file still enables TRIM on their SSDs.

7. Solowalker macrumors regular

Anyone have more firm evidence (or a reference) of blanket TRIM support in Mountain Lion?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

[​IMG]

No TRIM mods or apps installed, this is all from the fresh install of ML DP4.

9. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Running DP4 from a clean install, and yep