trim support on bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead14, Nov 9, 2013.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

from what i've read.. apple has trim enabled on by default for their ssd, and that you only need to enable it if you are replacing with a third party ssd. now my question is.. is trim also enabled on by default at the windows partition side? or do i need to turn it on? i have windows 8.1. and mavericks.

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

If you did a fresh install of Windows with an SSD then yes Windows will detect it and already be optimized for the SSD. If you installed Windows on an regular hard drive, then upgraded to an SSD you have to do some registry tricks to get it optimized for the SSD. Just make sure to disable Disk Defragment in Windows.

Another good trick is to turn of Hibernation in Widows and delete the Hibernate file. This will free up the equivalent of however much RAM is installed on your computer on the Bootcamp partition. For example, if you have 8GB of RAM in your Macbook, the Hibernate file in Windows will be 8GB. With an SSD, there really is no need for Hibernation since it boots so fast.

3. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i installed windows 8.1 as soon as i received my new rMBP. thank you for the hibernate tip!

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Trim is a software thing. Osx and windows 8.1 will do it automatically.

5. pommephone macrumors member

pommephone

The question is should "scheduled optimization" be enabled in Windows? This suggests that it should.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It actually doesn't matter if you installed on an hdd or an ssd. All you need to do in Windows is run the Performance Evalution test after you exchange HDD for an SSD and it will detect the SSD and adjust everything that needs adjusting.
    According to a Mircosoft engineer they also use a very full proof way of detecting SSDs. They check the random read/write speed. If that is above a certain threshold which HDDs never get it is an SSD. So there are never any detection problems or firmware compatibility issues.

As the MS person writes Windows 8 does all the right things. What he describes is basically a deferred Trimming of the drive. Usually this should also happen when you clear the trash. And obviouly at least once after you exchange hdd for and ssd via some backup tool. Generally just trust Windows to treat it correctly. Just don't enable or disable anything. Leave it to Windows.

The only thing one can do is save space on tight cramped bootcamp partitions. Delete the hibernation file and shrink the page file.
    BTW if you use VMWare (probably Paralells too) there are pretty dumb tools that reenable the hibernation file on native boots after it was turn of on vm boot in osx. Quite annoying because with 16GB RAM that is quite a big file of 12GB (75% of RAM per default).