Trim support over USB C 3.1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PJivan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

So trim support was not supported by USB controller 3 of the old iMac and only via thunderbolt 2.
    Now there are 2 ports thunderbolt 3/USB C 3.1, question is, does the TRIM support works for USB-C?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Not on USB
    If you think that enabling trim is important, then use a Thunderbolt connection.

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

TRIM is supported over USB but the controller for the drive has to support UASP.

4. EugW macrumors 601

EugW

I'm not sure that is enough, but where do you see UASP support listed? For my Samsung 850 EVO with USB 3 UASP-compatible SATA dock, I still get some serious slowdowns with heavy use. As in down to less than 1 MB/s speeds in extreme cases. If I let it sit for while, the speeds return. I'm guessing that TRIM is not working here (and I don't see TRIM support listed), and it's just taking its time with garbage collection. Does that make any sense?

I don't see UASP mentioned in the system report though. Does that mean I'm just not getting UASP support? I am thinking it must though, since I'm getting speeds of 430 MB/s on a clean drive over USB 3, which I didn't think was possible without UASP.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No, UASP provides support for the much-higher speed that an SSD offers - but does not provide trim support. It's still a limitation of the storage support on USB.
    You do have to decide if trim is really that relevant now (and is a hurdle that everyone must leap over)
    Not everyone agrees.

6. EugW macrumors 601

EugW

OK that makes sense. My dock is UASP enabled, and I do get higher speeds, but I see no evidence of TRIM support.

And I think it matters, because with heavy usage on a somewhat full drive, speeds can slow to a crawl. Thus, if I were ever to go to external storage on my iMac, it would most definitely be Thunderbolt. Unfortunately though, I don't have that option with my MacBook. Too bad the MacBook does not support Thunderbolt. When does Intel add it for Y series machines? 2019?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not exactly. Here is an older post of mine that explains a bit.