Trim videos to save HDD space

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, Yesterday I took few videos with my iPhone and I imported them to my iPhoto library. I want to trim these videos to save HDD space. Some videos are about 1 minute long and the part I need is few seconds in length. I understand that trimming with iPhoto makes a modified version of the video and it still keeps the old video in the HDD.

How do I trim the video and get rid of the unnecessory parts of it to save HDD space?

jessetierney

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
If you need more room on your Mac, check out something that fits into your SD drive that will give you only slightly more space, something like 64GB. I think Nifty makes a minidrive, and there is a slightly less expensive alternative that looks like it will do the trick.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for all replies. I had to export videos from iPhoto and delete them from iPhoto, then trim them using Quick Time Player, and re-import to achieve this. Is there any other easier method to do the same?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for all replies. I had to export videos from iPhoto and delete them from iPhoto, then trim them using Quick Time Player, and re-import to achieve this. Is there any other easier method to do the same?
You could use the included app Image Capture to import the videos instead of iPhoto. Have image capture import the video to the desktop following this guide, then trim the video like you want, then afterward import it into iPhoto.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
You could use the included app Image Capture to import the videos instead of iPhoto. Have image capture import the video to the desktop following this guide, then trim the video like you want, then afterward import it into iPhoto.
Thanks. This is a better solution. But I wish that iPhoto had an option to delete previous version of videos and photos if we do not need them anymore...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. This is a better solution. But I wish that iPhoto had an option to delete previous version of videos and photos if we do not need them anymore...
Me too. I deal with this with photos. I import photos then tweak the color slightly and end up with a duplicate of every photo I do that with. It really adds up to a lot of space over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.