Trim videos to save HDD space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMan988, Dec 16, 2013.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Hi, Yesterday I took few videos with my iPhone and I imported them to my iPhoto library. I want to trim these videos to save HDD space. Some videos are about 1 minute long and the part I need is few seconds in length. I understand that trimming with iPhoto makes a modified version of the video and it still keeps the old video in the HDD.

How do I trim the video and get rid of the unnecessory parts of it to save HDD space?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can trim a video with Quicktime that is already on your Mac.

Here is a walkthrough.

3. jessetierney macrumors newbie

If you need more room on your Mac, check out something that fits into your SD drive that will give you only slightly more space, something like 64GB. I think Nifty makes a minidrive, and there is a slightly less expensive alternative that looks like it will do the trick.

4. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all replies. I had to export videos from iPhoto and delete them from iPhoto, then trim them using Quick Time Player, and re-import to achieve this. Is there any other easier method to do the same?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could use the included app Image Capture to import the videos instead of iPhoto. Have image capture import the video to the desktop following this guide, then trim the video like you want, then afterward import it into iPhoto.

6. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. This is a better solution. But I wish that iPhoto had an option to delete previous version of videos and photos if we do not need them anymore...

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Me too. I deal with this with photos. I import photos then tweak the color slightly and end up with a duplicate of every photo I do that with. It really adds up to a lot of space over time.