Trim?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I dont understand this TRIM thing do i need to worry? I have a late 2011 MBP. i will be putting a SSD in it next week. also what is the best way to install this clone or just use lion internet recovery after formatting it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may find some useful information in some of the existing threads on this:
    A simple method is to put the new SSD in an external enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your internal drive to the new SSD, then swap the drives.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You don't need to enable trim. Either will work, method one will will restore your data, method two will make it disappear.

4. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I backed everything up so loosing data not a big deal if I don't enable trim will speed go down? I failed to mention I got a crucial m4 256gb

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Read GGJstudios post. Those links he posted will explain everything.

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I am still confused at this point what is this garbage collection? Should I just install and forget about it?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Yes, you should just install it and forget about it. You're fretting needlessly.

9. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok and I won't notice any speed difference and that link above helped a lot more. Is the crucial m4 good I keep seeing everyone talk about it

10. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

Ill be keeping à look at your topic.
    Been wondering the Same about trim.
    Also about the crucial m4.
    I wonder if Its à better choice than the Samsung series.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The Crucial M4 is a great drive. The Samsung 830 is also a great drive. The Samsung drive is faster but more expensive. Depending on your uses the chances of you noticing the performance difference outside of benchmarks may or may not happen. The Crucial drive has a OS X app to upgrade the firmware. The Samsung you would need to burn an ISO disc, but that's not exactly a difficult thing to do. If memory serves the Crucial is bit easier on the battery too. I went with the Crucial mainly due to the price. For my uses the speed difference would have been pointless. Your usage may be different. Both drives are great and you can't really make a bad choice.

12. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

Thanks for explainig. Both drives cost €190 for 256gb so ill be going for The faster one.(and Its black lol)