Trimming avi files with Quicktime in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mlpsponzischeme, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mlpsponzischeme macrumors regular

I used to use Quicktime in Snow Leopard to simply trim avi files and then save the trimmed clips as avi files. In Lion, I only see the option to convert the dame files to 480 mov's or iPod/iphone compatible files. Seriously? So now I have to convert all avi files that I want to trim? Can anyone help me figure out an easy way to simply trim avi files and save the trimmed clips without having to convert them.

I'm surprised at how many simple features disappeared from Lion. For example, I loved opening Finder and being able to see at the bottom of the window how much disk space I had remaining. I haven't been able to restore this and I've looked every where. This is the reason why I didn't buy a mac 10 years ago. I want to be able to control the UI...not Apple. You can't tell me leaving the option for these simple features is going to kill battery life or performance on my 2011 MacBook Pro. I love Apple's products but what stupid arrogance!

I'm really hoping they bring back some of the old options from SL and at least allow us to choose how we want our UI to look. On the other hand, Lion is faster. My computer is noticeably faster. Definitely worth the $30 upgrade and still love my Mac. Just a little confused by some of the changes.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

IIRC, you can restore the finder disk space info by going to finder>view>show status bar

3. mlpsponzischeme thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I like feeling dumb when it means there's a simple fix. :D

Now if I can only find a way to easily trim avi files as I did with Snow Leopard I'll be done complaining about Lion...

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Most people that know that "simple fix" (like me) learned it from someone else...:D