Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fardogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Hello,
I have a camera that takes insanely high resolution photos, and while this creates some nice pictures I don't need every one to be 3.5 Mbs. Is there a simple way in iPhoto to trim the size of pictures, or decrease the resolution so that some of the less significant photos I have can take up less space on my hard drive.
I can do it through photoshop 6, but it take such a long time, and to go through thousands of photos would take weeks.
Thanks for any advice out there.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Lower your camera resolution to 2-3 megapixels. Unless you are wanting to do some proper editting, and zoom in, cut bits out and enlarge, then there is no need for such high resolutions.

On top of that rant, since I used to work in a department store, I had to sell cameras as well. So many customers would come in saying they need high megapixels, and one picked out one that was 8. One customer walked away refusing to believe me that it is the lense that affect the quality, not necessarily the amount of megapixels.

You can export the photos in iPhoto and choose a lower resolution or custom file size, but then you'd have to import them back in again. I'm not aware of any other method that doesn't involve exporting them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.