Trimming video

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, May 5, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I trimmed a fair few minutes from a couple of videos using the inbuilt iPhone trimming editor, and now the videos are a larger file size. What the heck?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The trim feature in ios dosent actually trim the video unless you save as new clip. Otherwise, it will just ad a start and stop point

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

iOS does this nifty thing with editing where you can revert the edits.

It's great for things like Slo Mo, Editing filters (resets the filters too which is nice), and cropping photos and videos.

The larger file size could just be because it saved another copy over the top.. I don't know how it works.

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Well I'm annoyed with it. I trimmed the videos purely to save some space and I didn't keep the originals. Now my videos take up MORE space and Apple didn't make this clear anywhere. Trimming means trimming in my book, not 'adding'.

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

it does trim the clip and does make the file size smaller. as another poster stated already, you must save it as a new clip. then you can just go an delete the original.

7. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes, I know that now (*thanks to comments in this thread) but I didn't save it as a new clip and I didn't keep the original. At no time did iOS7 inform me of file sizes, it merely asked me if I wanted to keep the original or not. As I was happy with the 'trim' I didn't ask to create a new file. Now I'm lumbered with a bigger 'trimmed' file than the original was, which is the complete opposite of what I was wanting.

8. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

No, this 'trimming' feature is absolute junk.
    I have been through about 15 videos and trimmed several of them. I saved them all as a new clip, and deleted the old clip. However, the file sizes are STILL larger than the old non-trimmed ones. I only did this to save iCloud space, and I'm now using MORE.
    Useless!

9. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Why don't you just keep the videos as is and transfer it?

10. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I want to keep them on my phone. I spent ages trimming them, was pleased with the results, and then I noticed that where previously I had 848Mb of iCloud space remaining, I now needed a further 4.2Gb! This was after supposedly trimming around 15 videos. The length of the videos in minutes reduced, but the file sizes increased. Baffling.