Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
My dad took around 50 plane flights last year and wants a small laptop to do email and to use Word on the plane/traveling. One of his friends has the Sony Viao Picturebook. 2.2 lb and stupidly small for typing biz. docs. He always complains about how he can't see the keys on his cell phone, the keys on the picturebook arn't much bigger. Starting at over $2000 it's kinda steep. I think he would like the 12" power book much better! He was amazed that he could use his "pc only" word docs on word for mac. Well right now I'm tring to get him interested in the new powerbook, he keeps saying how much he wants something small, I don't think he has ease of use in mind. He wants to type long word docs and the 9" diagonal screen would be hard to use for him. What do you think? Any facts or anything other ways I can sway him over to a mac laptop? Thanks! We might have a new switcher.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
As an adult myself (sometime), I can put myself in your dads place. Shelling out about 2k for another laptop is a lot of money, and will take a lot of convincing on your part to make it happen.
I would suggest to keep pointing out the positives of the mac over the pc.

1) It almost never crashes
2) Apple has a special going on where he can get Office X for something like $200, so he will be getting the latest software.
3) Tell him that it can connect to a windows network, with minor tweaking.
4) If he uses it for work maybe he can have his company reimburse him in part or entirely for it.
5)If he runs his own business, suggest to him to check out the tax advantages (or whatever) that will affect the business
6) point out how much eh will get done on flights
7) The virus issue (or lack of)
8) If he says something about floppy disks, buy him a usb floppy drive for fathers day.
9) Offer to teach him how to use it (provided you know how to use it)
10) If he points out the difference in MHZ speeds, ask him if it will make him type faster.
11) DON'T BUG HIM!! He may not be able to afford it right now.

Just remember, if he gets a cheap pc laptop instead, make sure he puts the difference into your college fund. :D

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
He just really likes the small size of the viao. His laptop now is about 11+ pounds. HA! He doesn't like that the viao only gets 1-2 hours of batt. Life. Well I will try and get him to get it...
his company reimburse him in part or entirely for it.
He is planing to do that.

The virus issue is a good point, he has had them in the past.

He has just never had a computer that he knew how to use. He thought that MS Word was the OS. I think OS X could really change his computing life. Ill keep you posted! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.