Trip to Apple Store to compare HR/SR and AG/Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Jun 26, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Well I'm making a special trip to my nearest Apple store tomorrow which is about two hours away. I'm making this trip to "test drive" and compare the High-res/Standard-Res and Anti-Glare/Glossy options. Any suggestions on particulars to look at specifically? I will still be placing my order online and having it shipped to my house.

Honestly, from looking at pictures, I'm definitely leaning towards the high-res screen. Now it is really up to Anti-Glare/Glossy. I'd rather drive a few hours, look at what I'm getting ready to order/purchase, than place my order blindly, and find out later that I really wanted the "other" option.

2. Don Nguyen macrumors member

Gloss is definitely a lot nicer, when it comes to color, etc. Great for more casual using and entertainment purposes.

However, anti glare is definitely more practical for those who use their MBP in more of a professional world.

I have the antiglare screen, but definitely wish I could have lived with the reflections/glare of the glossy screen, but the anti glare just makes so much more sense for me and my uses.

3. bob.loblaw macrumors member

Where I use mine (in our house) glossy is never a problem. I don't think about it unless I notice one of these threads. It depends on where you're going to use it.

4. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Speaking of uses. I will be using this as my MAIN computer. I will be heading off to college this fall and I need a new computer. School work, games, media, programming, etc. I spend ALOT of time on the computer.

Also, what do you think of the high-res? I know you have high-res because of the AG screen.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I'm spoiled and have a hires antiglare. I love it, and can't hardly use anything else. But then again, i see a reflection on practically every other screen to the point that it drives me crazy. So i would get the antiglare. The color is a little less vibrant on the antiglare, but its worth the lack of headaches.

to bad apple doesn't coat their glossy screens with antiglare, to give the best of both worlds.

6. JerseyBill macrumors member

High Res Glossy here and a big fan...

I did about three trips to different Apple Stores to resolve this question - and found something interesting in the process. The local geniuses never failed to promote and upsell the AG machines - without fail.

Finally, on a rainy day I was in the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in Manhattan and got the chance to see my planned 17" MBP side by side - glossy and AG. There was no choice in my mind at that point. The Glossy was so much crisper and vibrant - and while the AG was extremely nice I got the feeling I was looking through a medium that was moderating the image - no there was never glare but you certainly see white blobs in exchange for that privilege when looking at certain angles to bright light.

Anyway, this is the most difficult and personal decision you will make with the MBP - and there is only a right answer for YOU. I think that both choices are great ones - but I just wanted to add that I am thrilled with my glossy high res and don't see myself ever having regrets....

JB

7. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Only advice - pick what looks good to you, and don't let others influence your decision. For some, glossy is it, for others, AG is it, but you have to decide for yourself.

The only other factor you have to consider is if you want a hi-res screen or not, if you don't, then your only choice is glossy.

8. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

After doing a couple side by side comparisons, I went with the standard resolution/glossy screen on my 15". Since I use mine on the desk at home 99% of the time, I decided to spend the extra $250 on a 24" 1080p anti-glare monitor instead. :D

9. Don Nguyen macrumors member

I have a 17", so it is a little different, but given that, I'd obviously definitely go with the high res on the 15" model. However, that's because I need/use/like the extra real estate from it.

Again, I needed my laptop to be versatile. I use my laptop in a professional sense, and sometimes need to bring it outdoors with me and be able to still use it. Based on what you've said, I think you should go with the glossy screen.

I've used the glossy screen on non macbooks before, before picking mine, and it really wasn't that bad imo. Even if you are doing school work, etc, as long as you are indoors most of the time, it won't be an issue. Then the few times you will be taking it outdoors, just turn up the brightness and adjust the screen angle.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Which also drains the battery since most of the time you will be on battery power when being outdoors.

11. Don Nguyen macrumors member

Yes, but that's why you must see how often you do work outdoors. If it is a handful amount of times a year, I don't/won't care if my battery life gets cut in half for those X amount of times.

Also, how long are you going to really be sitting outside in the sun doing work on your laptop before you move.

12. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Agree with this completely, only thing to look for is what you like. There are people on both sides who will say one is better than the other, it's just preference. You're doing the right thing by going to look before you buy.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, being "outside" isn't necessarily the only situation that would require you to raise the brightness up. I had the 13" MBP 2009 model. I go to my local cafe weekly to work and it's such a pain to use because of the glossy reflections. I never sit outside, I always sit inside the cafe but the room lights reflect off the screen and there's no way to avoid them. Also, not just the room lights but the background room surroundings reflect off the screen which caused me to raise the brightness which lowered my battery. I was not always fortunate enough to have a table near a power outlet at the cafe.
    The only solutions were to either raise the brightness at the expense of the battery to overcome the reflections or to lower the brightness to save battery power at the expense of the dealing with the reflections.

Another thing I hated about the glossy was sitting to a rather "unstable" table. ANY and I mean ANY jarring of the table would shake the screen and all I could see were jumpy reflections on my screen. Tomorrow my brand new 15" MBP with Hi-Res Antiglare is being delivered and my issues are now solved. Perfect balance of an anti-reflective screen while conserving battery while on the go. The OP is doing the right thing by going to the Apple store to check them out. Hopefully he takes his time because there's more to the matte screen than just reducing reflections, it's much more accurate on color than glossy. :)

14. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have used matte screens on my Mac laptops for more than 7 years. Several months ago I added an iPad, which has a glossy display. In my estimation, matte doesn't provide just a slightly better user experience, it provides a much better one. Thus, because the OP wants a 15 or 17 inch MBP, which has the matte option, he should certainly get it. Doing so would be well worth the extra money, it seems to me.

For those thinking of buying a 13 inch MBP or an iPad, neither of which has a matte option, let me say that glossy shouldn't be a deal breaker, in my estimation. Reflections and glare are occasionally annoying but the image quality is stunning, nonetheless. You'll appreciate the stunning images long after you have stopped paying attention to the glare and reflections.:)

15. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I was getting ready to buy a Hi-Res AG 15" MBP on the tax free weekend here in NC. But last week I was able to get the use of a new MBP 15" 2.4 but with the standard glossy screen. No way did I want the glossy, but considering it saves me ~$2K with Applecare, I decided to go with the freebie. I am surprised how little the glossy bothers me. Never thought that would be the case. Seeing the glossy in the store, the reflections were horrible. Using it in my home turns out to be just fine. Less than a week, and I pretty much don't even see reflections. The res is the same as my 2007 MBP, so that's okay. But....bottom line, you have to decide. YMMV.

16. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the first thing that I decided on very quickly was that I definitely want High-Res. I had no problems with reading the fonts, and I actually prefer the smaller UI elements.

I walked up to a glossy 15 inch and messed around on it for 30 to 45 minutes. I tilted the screen in such a way to maximize the amount of glare from ambient lights etc. Kinda like a worst case scenario. Honestly, after about 5 minutes of using it, I forgot I was even using a glossy screen. I guess my brain automatically accommodated and caused my head/eyes to adjust themselves to look "onto" the screen and not "into" it. It definitely requires a different level of focus to zone-in on the reflections vs the screen content itself. I also liked how the glass on the glossy is "corner to corner". The AG screen has an "edge" that can collect dust and debris. The glossy seems easier to clean. I could definitely feel a structural difference when trying to flex the Glossy vs the AG. The glossy was much more rigid. But that obviously wasn't the selling point. And if push comes to shove, I can always get a ClearCal or another film. 15" High-Res glossy it is.

17. AdamN macrumors newbie

If this is how you feel, why post it? Obviously, if the OP knew which one to get, he'd get it. I presume the OP wants real decisions made by people actually looking at the monitors.