Trip to England - Good GPS Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Sep 25, 2010.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey England'ers...

I am taking a trip back to England soon. From folks here I have decided to use O2 on my iphone4 (unlocked post JB) - I would like to use my IP4 as a GPS - any pointers to free or cheap GPS apps and also does it use data?

Thanks
    D

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Navfree UK & ROI (Turn by turn navigation)

It is free and downloads all the maps.

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

4. Covart Guest

I have driven all over England and O2 is the best choice. Only place I had any issues with consistent reception was in Louth northeast of Lincoln. But in London, Whales, midlands, east... all good.

Choices given to you in the other posts are fine, but if you get in a pinch and there are any issues with your phone, just get to your nearest Halford's (equivalent to Pep Boys or Autozone in the US) and you can get a cheap Nav system for about 60 Pounds.

Where are you going in England?

5. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all - does it use data or GPS when I use Google maps or Navfree?

Also, I will have to google - google maps and cached maps.

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

You get free data on o2 pay as you go for iPhone, so that should come in handy. You could just buy the tomtom uk and Ireland app, or tomtom western Europe app (same price, both include uk maps...).

Have fun in England!!

7. cathyy macrumors 6502a

If the maps are cached there should be no data charges because the maps are already downloaded to your phone. I believe you have to change the permissions to 'read only' first though in order to prevent it from downloading data to overwrite it. GPS by itself is free too.

8. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Co-pilot does the job, never failed on me plus much cheaper than tom-tom app