Trip to London: Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I will be leaving for London on the 10th and arriving on the 11th. What are some places of interest? Preferably closer to Westminster? I am only 15 and I will be there with my mom for 3 days.

I already plan on visiting Big Ben, London Eye, and Kinds Cross Station, not to mention Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

So and places that anyone would recommend? Thank you!

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Err Apple store! The Regent Street Apple store is so pretty! Theres a glass lift! and its huge!

3. MacPanda macrumors regular

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

What does that have to do with it?:confused:

I don't understand.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh my, that's strange. There used to be a place near there that helped me look for a place to live. It was on a side street, directly beside a very nice architecture firm. I swear, this Mathmos place is likely within 20 metres of the place I'm talking about. Memories........ :eek:

Anyway, I think Big Ben and Kings Cross Station will only be so entertaining for a 15 year old. ;) Try visiting Tower of London, or walking around Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, and Charing Cross. All these places should be within 20-30 minute walk from Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. :) There should also be lots of signs, but bring a map. Everything is quite close together. :)

Also, go to Harrods, but don't bring a backpack. You may also need to wear shoes or something. The store has a dresscode, but has some pretty interesting things.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Thank you! We also plan on taking a Bus trip (yeh, we're tourists:rolleyes:), anyone to recommend?

8. sananda macrumors 68020

i wouldn't go to king's cross if i were you; it's not the best area. have a good trip:)

9. calculus Guest

calculus

You could give this a go...

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It could be good, but bus tours iz teh suck. The bus will likely visit all the places I just mentioned, which are easily walkable in 20-30 minutes (maybe except Tower of London). Also, go to the Tate Modern if you want to see some modern art. There's also the Design Museum. Both the Tate and Design Museum are south of the river, but should be around 30 minutes from Westminster Abbey (used as a reference only).

And no, there is nothing interesting at Kings Cross Station. I don't know why you'd want to go so far just to see a crummy station. Oh, and if you see an HSBC outside the station, remember that I was almost stabbed in the neck there. :p Don't worry, I've been back there, but I'm just saying it's not the best nicest or safest place to go. Actually, I see no reason to go there other than to change trains or get on a bus to leave the area.

11. calculus Guest

calculus

I'm guessing it's to see Platform 9 & 3/4 as featured in the Harry Potter stories.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

probably for the harry potter platform.

i'm too slow :)

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

The Design Museum is really good (down near the Tower Bridge). If you walk along the waterfront, there's this really cool kinetic sculpture of a sailing ship in the galleria of some shops/offices. There's even a boule court right there. There's also the Wax Museum in Piccadilly Circus. Check out some of the parks, amazingly serene and peaceful within the hustle & bustle of a city. Check out SoHo in the West End. Lots of interesting and unusual shops.

Stay awake as long as you can and soak up everything. London is an incredible place.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The Tower of London

Houses of Parliament

Madame Tussauds

The London Dungeons

London Zoo

15. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I don't care much for all the tourist attractions. if you want to see the real london, just walk around. you can get most places by foot, and theres always the tube, so maybe start on oxford street and just take a wander, there are some true gems hidden on the back streets, you are guaranteed to find something new every time you visit!

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Given that the OP posted this in August, I guess he's already there.

And yes, wandering around will guarantee that you find something new. Especially in Hackney Wick or on the Clapton Road. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.