Trip to the US, mobile broadband, which?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by u1725, Jul 17, 2010.

1. u1725 macrumors member

Hi,
    I'll be on my way to the US next Tuesday and I would like to be on the Internet on the go. Do you have any recommendations, which company, which plan and what does it cost?
    I'll be in the US for a month, mainly in San Francisco and Las Vegas but also in some of the big national parks in California, Nevada and Utah(Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Zion ect...) and of course on the roads between them.
    I've heard you have really crappy coverage(In Denmark, where I live, we have at least 2 mbps everywhere and 20 in the big cities) how bad is it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ulrik

2. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Sadly, most of the major carriers would rather sign you up for a 2 year contract instead of paying month to month. I believe Virgin Mobile has a month to month option for their mobile broadband, though I'm not sure who they partner with. For pure data, Verizon will probably have the best coverage and good speeds.

As far as coverage, it really depends on where you are. Different carriers have better coverage in different areas of the country. Not very helpful, I know, but it seems to be totally dependent on the carrier.