Trip to UK from the US

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rediffusion, Jul 25, 2008.

1. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

I'm traveling to the UK for 2 weeks from the US and would like to use my iPhone there. I will mainly be calling UK numbers. What's the cheapest way to do this? Is it possible to get a Pay As You Go sim card from O2? Would this also give me EDGE access?

thanks,
    Rich

2. chaoses macrumors member

chaoses

I thought iphone 3g is a world phone. (maybe this is a stupid question) The iphone 3g wouldn't allow you to put a UK sim card in and use it like a world phone? cause I know the one my brother used, he did used it in other countries while travelling

3. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

My iPhone is an old one, not 3G. As I'm going to be in the UK making calls within the UK I don't want to be using AT&T as the charges will be high. I was wondering if O2 [the UK carrier] offered a pay as you go service.

Rich

4. dhunda1 macrumors newbie

why dont u just rent a phone theree (they do have pay as you go but it might not work with iphone) renting a phone would be the cheapest way

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You would need to unlock your iPhone to put in a non AT&T SIM card. You can do this with the iPhone 2G, not 3G. That will work OK.

If not unlocked, you'll have to roam - turn off data services if you do that, unless you're very rich :)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just buy a PAYG phone while your out here. I picked up a phone, with 10 pounds ($20) worth of credit for £14.99 ($30) a few months back, no joke.

Definitely saves a lot of hassle with you jailbreaking your phone, then picking up a UK sim card, then worrying about it getting stolen etc.