Triple boot, dual drive Macbook i5, iso/usb

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by discosoap, Oct 15, 2010.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I spent most of my evening yesterday using Mroogle/Google to figure out how to get this done, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Here's my setup;

Macbook Pro 2.4 i5
    drive bay 1 - 60GB Vertex II
    drive bay 2 - 320GB Apple HDD (using Optibay)

Here's what I'd like to do;

drive bay 1 - Mac OSX + Applications
    drive bay 2 - Mac OSX data storage (290GB) + Windows 7 (20GB) + Ubuntu (10GB)

The tools I have;

- multiple Macs
    - multiple 4GB USB sticks
    - Windows + Ubuntu .iso files
    - Support software like Parallels / rEfit etc.
    - No working Superdrives/CD-combo :-(
    - LAN network

I tried using Bootcamp, but that didn't go well as it won't let me install from USB-stick. I tried installing through Parallels (as suggested in MR forums), but I can't use it because Parallels 6 won't recognize the Bootcamp partition. I tried rEfit, but can't get it to work because I can't restore the .iso files to the USB stick (I have no working CD/DVD unit) using Disk Utility.

Please help me devise (or find) a strategy to get a triple boot, dual drive system so I can take over the world :)

Any suggestion is welcome :apple:

ps: if you need any additional info, or if my question is not clear enough, please let me know

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read this whole thread, but I would suggest trying the internal partition approach since you already tried Parallels (probably has to be 8 GB for W764 Ultimate)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11173042&postcount=57

IMHO 20GB is marginal for W764 it really wants more unless of course you don't have any apps you want to install...

B

3. gtr053 macrumors member

Why can't you extract the ISOs? I haven't had a problem with them on my Mac. Maybe I installed something that took care of that?