Triple boot Ubuntu, Win7, and OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnomicsAcid, Feb 27, 2011.

1. AnomicsAcid macrumors newbie

I just ordered the 2011 17" MBP 2.3. I need to triple boot into Ubuntu, Win7, and OS X. Mostly I need to know how to install Ubuntu alongside the other two. Has anyone done this? In the near future I will put a 120GB SSD in the optibay and put the three OS's on it and frequently used applications. I will use the 750GB HDD for everything else. What would be the best way to format and partition the two drives? Is there a difference if the SSD is in the optibay or in the HDD spot? Thanks!

2. alanlindsay macrumors member

I have XP/OSX Ubuntu triple booted on my 2008 MBP so it can be done. I remember it took a few days to get it up and running and there were some frustrations along the way.

One thing I never got fully sorted was accessing the linux partition from OSX via VMware ( XP works fine this way). You'll need to get the program rEFIt which brings up a nice boot screen and allows you to access all partitions.

Since it's been 3 years, I don't recall the specific steps though there's not too much to it. As I recall, the order you install windows and linux is important. Here is my diskutils list

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *200.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 107.7 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_HFS 20.3 GB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 71.0 GB disk0s4

The linux partition is disk0s3. Another issue I had was with the wrong ubuntu disk, I needed the manual install CD rather than the generic one - this may or may not be an issue with newer versions.

Ok, hope this was of some help. I'd recommend goggling a walk through - I'm sure there are plenty out there. Cheers,

Alan