Triple Boot With Linux on Second HHD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by auto180sx, Aug 15, 2013.

1. auto180sx macrumors newbie

As the title states. Windows 7 is installed, OSX 10.8 (of course,) and Linux Mint 15 are all on the computer. Windows and OSX are on the first hard drive with Linux on the second. REFID does not show the Linux OS while REFIT shows Linux but doesn't get past the screen with the Penguin. Any suggestions? I've been working on this all day and have lost almost all my hope.:confused:

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The way I did it was to install Windows on the second hard drive first. Then install Linux. Then repair the Windows bootloader with the windows install cd. Then boot into Windows and use EasyBCD to add your linux install to the Windows bootloader.

Since Windows and Linux are on their own hard drive, you just pretend like Mac isn't there. It's existence doesn't matter in this scenario.

You do NOT need refit or any of that nonsense to boot linux if you are doing a triple boot. When you want to boot linux, hold option, choose Windows, and then choose Linux from the Windows boot loader.

3. auto180sx thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a multitude of problems getting Windows on the computer in the first place. I actually ended up having to pull the second hard drive out and putting the superdrive back in to install windows..... I like the idea of doing it that way though so I could give Windows a bigger partition. The only question is how would I get Windows installed on it... I kept getting an error of "No bootable device found" when I was trying to install from a USB. I did pick up a external superdrive for school though... Ohhh the possibilities.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Hmm... idk. I have a 2009 MBP so I can't even get a flash drive windows installer to boot. I have an el cheapo external dvd drive that I use though.