Triple Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfan74318, Aug 11, 2011.

1. macfan74318 macrumors member

Hello,

I currently have a BootCamp Partition set up with Lion but I would like to have another partition with Snow Leopard. Is there anyway that I can do that without losing the BootCamp Functionality? I'm open to anything.

Thanks,
    MacFan

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sure. Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (the first listing), then the Partition tab. Select your Mac partition, then click the plus button at the bottom to add a new partition. Resize and click the Apply button. Make sure it then tells you it won't erase any partitions, but it shouldn't be able to while you're booted from it anyways. You can then install Snow Leopard onto that new partition (logically, it will sit between the Lion and Boot Camp partitions, which is how you'll see it in any lists, including Disk Utility).

jW

3. macfan74318 thread starter macrumors member

When I try that I get this (See Attached)

And it does not boot into BootCamp Anymore, I have also heard about reFit, does it work on Lion?

Thanks,
    Macfan

Attached Files:

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hmm, interesting.

From what I can see, rEFIt works if you manually install it, though I haven't manually tested that. I guess when you repartition, it messes up the hybrid GUID/MBR map that Bootcamp sets up, didn't know that.

jW

5. lauph macrumors regular

Before you did your partitioning, OS X is in disk0s2 (or some other disk0s#), and Windows is in disk0s3.

After you did your partitioning, OS X is in disk0s2, your new partition is disk0s3 and Windows is now disk0s4. The problem is that Windows still thinks that it is in disk0s3, and that is set somewhere in the OS when it was installed. So it doesn't boot now. There may be a guide on how to change that on Google. Else, reinstall Windows.

6. macfan74318 thread starter macrumors member

It Works

I just manually installed and it worked perfectly

Macfan

7. akjim macrumors newbie