Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I managed to get my hands on a student edition of Vista today. I'm thinking, since I've had no first hand experience of Vista yet, of triple booting up OSX, XP and Vista.

Ideally I'd like Vista on my external USB/FW (just change the cable) HDD. Only thing is I have no idea how to go about doing this! Is this even possible?

Cheers all :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Doing so is a really convoluted process mate, and at the moment Bootcamp still does not support booting off an external drive properly.

Hopefully final release of Bootcamp will support external devices, but I guess were going to have to wait till Oct now with Leopard.

I've been running Vista Ultimate on my macpro for a couple of weeks. It's ok, everything seems to be working grand.

I dont really need windows, so odd things like apps not working with vista doesnt bother me too much, but if your really using windows, I'd suggest you either backup all your XP data just in case you need to go back to it, and try it... or wait it out and see if final bootcamp is better, and vista has a decent service pack.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Just as always, a series of quick events has landed me with a spare iMac. Vista is going onto it as soon as it finishes up downloading bootcamp!

I can't wait to see where Bootcamp takes us. I'd much rather be running XP off my external drive too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.