Triple booting question (osx, win7, scientific linux)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nevalite, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Nevalite, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

Nevalite macrumors newbie

Hey,

I currently have osx lion and windows 7 installed via bootcamp. I also have refit installed and working. I am looking to add scientific linux as my third os. I can't find any guides on triple booting with SL...all the guides seem to use ubuntu (i.e.: this guide)

Could I follow that guide but use SL instead? Does anyone have any experience triple booting sl?

Thanks

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

? Once you are on Lion you cannot go back to Snow Leopard. They're like... "one" thing that you go from one to the other.

You can run a VM of Lion in Lion (right?) but you can't go back to SL unless your Mac shipped with SL and you have the disks to do that.

You can, however, run Ubuntu, Windows XP/Vista/7, Chrome OS, Fedora, and pretty much any other OS in VM though.

3. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you read my post right, I'm talking about scientific linux (SL) not snow leopard :)

4. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

5. wegster macrumors 6502

Assuming you follow refit walkthrough, and use the right partitions to install SL to, I wouldn't expect too many issues with the install...however if you're running the latest MBP, you're going to hit some driver issues more than likely..SL is based on Redhat Enterprise, and supporting the latest MBP isn't really a Redhat priority..check for driver/functionality issues with running RHEL and your specific model before going down this path- it may make more sense tu just run SL via a Parallels or Fusion VM.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Lol oops, my mistake.

On another note, this would help me as well as I'm starting to use Ubuntu and would love to boot into it rather than run it through Parallels.

7. wegster macrumors 6502

A quick link on possibly up to date, possibly not up to date status of ubuntu on most recent mbps:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty

short version - seems no wireless or thunderbolt, most other things working, some of it with minor tweaks to get working properly, including a few packages downloaded and configured. wireless has some comments about using ndiswrapper (basically, this wraps a Windows driver) with mixed success, but apparently native chipset support is coming soon (broadcom chipset, looks to integrate into mainline kernel tree soon-ish)

RHEL6/SL6 out of the box may be better, but I'd be inclined to believe it's worse or similar. The plus side is - it's Linux; if workarounds exist on ubuntu, they can generally be made to work on other distributions without too much difficulty.

Taking a quick look at the ubuntu wiki, I don't see anything there that's difficult for someone with a passing knowledge of linux, although to get wireless working, it's likely going to mean a kernel update and rebuild once the drivers committed...