Triple booting - Win7 no longer boots, Ubuntu has graphics issues.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 4our-Foxtrot, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 4our-Foxtrot, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

4our-Foxtrot macrumors newbie

Hello,

Yep, I have a couple of issues here. I'll start with the most important.

I first originally dual booted OSX and Windows through Bootcamp, as you do. I then needed to resize these two partitions and create a third for Linux, I used a linux live usb "Parted magic" a linux partitioning tool. Later on I then installed ubuntu.

The problem now is, I think the partition tables/entries are a mess. Windows no longer boots and I am unwilling to start a fresh bootcamp install, I don't see why I should, I want to keep my settings and data.

[​IMG]

When I boot Windows 7 through rEFIT I get:

The win boot manager

Windows failed to start because a recent hard or software change etc, here:

[​IMG]

It's also important to add that this screen is unresponsive, pressing either "enter" or "esc" does nothing. You have to press and hold the power button to force a shutdown.

Grub:

[​IMG]

When attempting to boot through grub EFI I get:

[​IMG]

So, where to from here. I have heard of, and indeed have GPT fdisk (gdisk) installed but I don't know with a 100% confidence how to remedy this using it.

I'm banking, some of you do.

Thanks,

4F.

Attached Files:

2. 4our-Foxtrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump... Come on somebody please, please. I want to get on with this. Based on doing a search for related threads, I expected I quicker reply. Excuse my impatience.

3. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Foxtrot,
    triple booting is no good with MacOS, don't do it...

4. Stooby Mcdoobie, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Can you still boot into OS X? If so, I think the easiest, fastest, and least "messy" option would be to use software like Winclone to clone the Windows partition. Then go into Disk Utility and delete everything but your OS X partition. Re-create your Windows and Linux partitions, then use the cloned Windows image to restore your Windows system.

I don't know what you're using Windows/Linux for, but have you considered using virtual machines? You can run them while inside OS X and don't need to worry about messing around with partitions, etc. The popular virtualization applications (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) let you convert your existing Windows partition into a VM, so you won't lose your settings/data. You can then delete the Windows partition.

It's not bad if you set it up properly at first. Problems usually arise when one tries to resize a partition and/or add the third OS after setting up Boot Camp. rEFIt can handle multiple operating systems just fine.

5. 4our-Foxtrot thread starter macrumors newbie

That's an ill informed, redundant statement. It can be done, I've been doing it. These issues are minor. 2 issues which I know can be fixed. YOU, clearly can't help me. So don't post again on my thread unless you have useful information "Apple fan-boy" ignorance.

All I need is a fix for the GPT and/or hybrid MBR partiton tables, so windows can be made bootable again. The graphics issue is minor, it just needs to be scaled down (the resolution) and it needs to save in the state I leave it. Everything else works as far as the drivers are concerned, (I followed some guides, elsewhere).

So please do not tell me that I shouldn't do it. Open source = freedom.

:)

Somebody else, useful please reply!

----------

Exactly, and yes I can still boot OSX. Thank you for your suggestion. I have heard a fix can be done using GPT fdisk though, repairing the partitions. hmm.

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I'm sure it's possible to repair the partition tables, and someone here can probably tell you how to do it, but I unfortunately have no way to try it out as all I have on this machine are VMs.

7. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Foxtrot,
    read my answer to:

"Unable to install Windows 7 to 2nd Drive on 2012 Macbook Pro"

8. 4our-Foxtrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I can understand where your coming from to a point but that's just opinion, not really useful. I know this can be remedied, If not a fresh install isn't too small a sacrifice. And I understand that windows on a mac, yeah theres always going to be at least some slight issues, it just comes with the territory.

Thank you for trying though.

----------

Acknowledged, thank you for your input. :)

----------

Now, can anyone give me some help or information on fixing the partitions with Gdisk? Come on now, I now your out there. I shall put another separate thread up if I get nothing.