triple booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ljonesj, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I love osx dont get me wrong but i have some programs i need windows for. I want to know i want to load the latest ubuntu with it for a triple boot by redoing the windows partition will it get its own icon when you hold option to choose your hd or when you choose windows it will show grub or lilo the boot loaders for ubuntu

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out the ubuntu forums, I believe there's a number of guides/threads on this topic.

Why not run ubuntu in vmware? If you don't have fusion, then download virtualbox which is free. You get the entire ubuntu experience without messing up your partitions.

Personally, I'm running both windows and fedora this way. I have little need for either OS to be running natively, i.e., no games and it also makes setting up linux a lot easier.

3. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

true i could on ubuntu but my windows i can not as i have a game from blizzard called diablo that will not run on a intel based mac as i have tried but not with wine

4. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Diablo II works just fine on Intel based macs. There's a download from Blizzard for it.

5. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

this is for the first diablo it does not have a intel loader for it i already checked

6. Riverrun macrumors regular

Look, be careful if you're going to install Ubuntu on your HD. You may find that Grub will be a problem if you ever decide to get rid of the Ubuntu Partition. There is an emulator for EFI called Efix, I think. You might be better of using that than allowing Ubuntu to install Grub.

Look into to it very carefully before you decide to go ahead.

7. Riverrun macrumors regular

Personally, I use a different computer for Ubuntu. It's very underpowered compared to the Mac but it absolutely flies. If I didn't have the mac, I'd use Ubuntu all the time as my production machine. Not half as polished as Mac or as easy to use but a great OS nonetheless.