Triple Booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kr4yzi3, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kr4yzi3 macrumors newbie

Right now I have Mac OS X (of course) + Bootcamp Win 7 Pro. I'm gonna have a class in Fall term which requires Ubuntu.

I tried MRoogle and found out this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=852350
    However, according to the post above, I have to install the Ubuntu before Win or it'll destroy the Bootcamp partition for Win 7.

Is there any way for me to install the Ubuntu without re-installing Win 7? I keep lots of stuff there :( it takes me very long time to re-install everything.

I heard the the Ubuntu 10.04 can be installed on the same partition with Win 7. But I'm just afraid that the Ubuntu booting priority will override booting system from Mac OS X (which will cause the choice booting Mac OS X disappear even it's still there). Has anyone tried this method yet?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i ran ubuntu off of a SD card....maybe thats an option ?

if not you could always split up your bootcamp partition again and use it to install ubuntu on.

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Here goes...

First off: Essential tools: SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Also Winclone which is an excellent tool for backing up your windows partition. Finally, rEFIt for booting to Linux.

1) Backup OS X partition with Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner
    2) Backup Win Partition with Winclone.

3) Install rEFIt and read all the info that comes with it. It's basically a boot loader that sees and boots from the Linux partition you're going to create. Without this you won't be able to easily boot into Linux.
    4) In OS X, go to the disk utility and select your main hard drive, and then highlight the OS X partition. Then click on the "+" symbol just beneath to make a new partition from some of the spare disk space on the OS X partition. You'll probably want something 5 Gigs or over if you plan to install loads of stuff, you'll have to make a judgment about this. Make sure the partition is formatted to FAT32 and click apply to make the change. You should now have 3 partitions showing, with the new one you just made for Linux sitting in the middle....That bit is important.
    5) Restart your mac and boot from the Ubuntu disk, then click install. Follow the menus and dialogue boxes and direct Ubuntu to install on the partition you just made. Pay attention and make sure you choose the right disk partition for installing to...A common mistake here is overwriting other OS's so make sure you double check.

After a system shut down or a couple of restarts, your machine should display the rEFIt bootloader, which will allow you to then boot to Linux.

If you search on youtube there's a few folks have made helpful videos. It's a bit of a learning curve but as long as you back your system up before you start it's not too bad.

4. jamone13 macrumors regular

Unless your class requires Ubuntu to work with special hardware like microcontrollers or FPGAs why don't you use VMWare Fusion or Parallels (I prefer Parallels) to visualize Ubuntu? It should preform fast enough for most tasks this way, its simple and doesn't risk your OS X or Windows partitions.

5. Gomff macrumors 6502a

This is an excellent point and a good alternative, bearing in mind the Caveats mentioned. Remember also that the graphics performance, particularly with Open GL will be average to poor.

6. kr4yzi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

After days I decide to put the Ubuntu on Parallels Desktop. However, I have some problems right now, try to MRoogle it again but couldn't find a proper answer for this.

First of all, after installing the Ubuntu 10.04 on Parallels, the Internet connection works fine. However, after letting it update the components. The internet connection works no more :( It says "No network devices available". I try sharing the internet from Airport to Ethernet and Bridge the Internet connection but no use. (Perhaps I shouldn't let it update in the first place)

Secondly, I want to share file between Mac and Ubuntu. Google told me that I have to install the Parallels Tools. However, I only get error log while trying to install it.

Are there alternative ways to solve these problems?

Thanks in advance!

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Maybe it's possible to install Ubuntu with Wubi under Windows, unless it will give also problems with booting on a Mac.

8. cmon360 macrumors newbie

I’m sorry for the troubles you’re having. To solve the problem as quickly as possible I recommend submitting a support ticket with the Parallels team http://www.parallels.com/support/

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I'm also experiencing problems with Fusion3 an Ubuntu...

10. elleana macrumors regular

You may want to give virtual box a try. Its more no frills, but I find things just work without fiddling.