triple channel ram

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
I heard the current iMacs support triple channel (The i7 anyway, not sure about the i5 iMacs). Is this true? If so I suppose it would only work if you put in 3 RAM cards in it? Thanks

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I heard the current iMacs support triple channel (The i7 anyway, not sure about the i5 iMacs). Is this true? If so I suppose it would only work if you put in 3 RAM cards in it? Thanks
True. But speed is pretty much negligible and you would be better served by more RAM rather than perfectly paired 3x sticks. Unless all you do is benchmark your computer:D

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
True. But speed is pretty much negligible and you would be better served by more RAM rather than perfectly paired 3x sticks. Unless all you do is benchmark your computer:D
HAHA yup that's what I do :p

Thanks yeah. But if I put in 3 8GB sticks I think a total of 24GB of RAM might be enough? Considering I don't even do anything like professional video editing. I'm a software developer.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
iMacs use the desktop Sandy Bridge CPUs which are dual-channel. Anyone telling you anything different is telling a lie.

I am honestly sick and tired of people who answer (and give wrong informations) on forums and yet clearly have absolutely no clue about the topic :(

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I lie. I even voted myself down for not checking and assuming Z68 had it. My consumer knowledge has been slipping lately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.