Triple display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skeen, Aug 19, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

I currently have an iMac connected to a 20" Apple Cinema Display via mini-dvi-dvi.

Is it possible to hook up another display?

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

You can drive an external display with a resolution of up 1920*1200 (digital) or 2048*1536 (analogue). As far as I know, you wouldn't be able to use a third screen, although you could use a higher resolution second screen (20" ACDs are 1680*1050).

3. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That really sucks, I would like to have attached another 20" display. Is there really no way to do it, through maybe some kind of an adapter or something?

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, there is Matrox' DualHead2Go. Expensive and somewhat limited, but if you desperately need an extra screen, check it out. (I don't believe it will handle 20" native resolutions though.)

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

does OS X even support three screens?

not even topline MacPros can run 3 screens

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:confused:

The Mac Pros come in a 8 display configuration if you order it with 4 Nvidia 7300s.

However, due to power limitations of the ATI card (draws too much) the Mac Pro is limited to two ATI X1900 cards.

So 4 displays with the x1900 or 8 with the low power 7300.

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My Mac Pro at work. OSX is only limited by the amount of cards you can fit in the machine. Mac Pro's can do 8 screens, but the OS isn't limited.

Attached Files:

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I invite you to check out this MacRumors setup, a Mac Pro with three 30" displays: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4069956&postcount=34

I personally have seen a Mac Pro with 5 displays.

I don't know where you got the idea that an OS -- especially an OS used heavily by graphics and media pros!!!! -- can only handle two displays. Windows, OS X, and Linux all support many, many displays. I can't even remember what the theoretical limits are, but no one I've ever heard of has hit them. I really think, for pretty much everyone, that the only limiting factor is how many graphics cards you can fit in your computer.