Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
Buckaroo said:
I've always new that Macs would support multiple monitors. I only have two of my monitors hooked up to my G5 and the other two are connected to my PowerBook and a Windows machine.

I suppose since I don't fire up the windows machine or the PowerBook that often, I could pop in another video card. That would really expand my desktop.

http://home.earthlink.net/~spacebuckaroo/images/desk4a2.JPEG

dude thats crazy, nice but insane.
Really though that is a amazing set up.
I thought I was tripping.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you could run a powermac 9600 with a 1GHz upgrade with 12 screens connected to 6 9200's, but i'd still rather have a g5 with a 6800 running 4 23"ers (i'd like to see if one of those splitters actually work) and 3 9200's with 6 23" apple panels connected to them (you can use them on the vga socket with a vga-dvi converter (expensive buggers))

drool 10 23" apple lcd's

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Hector said:
you could run a powermac 9600 with a 1GHz upgrade with 12 screens connected to 6 9200's, but i'd still rather have a g5 with a 6800 running 4 23"ers (i'd like to see if one of those splitters actually work) and 3 9200's with 6 23" apple panels connected to them (you can use them on the vga socket with a vga-dvi converter (expensive buggers))

drool 10 23" apple lcd's

You would only be able to use 2 9200s in that G5 as the 6800 takes up the AGP and one PCI slot. Hoever if you scale the First video card back to a 9800 and then you could use 3 9200s.

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
Buckaroo said:
I've always new that Macs would support multiple monitors. I only have two of my monitors hooked up to my G5 and the other two are connected to my PowerBook and a Windows machine.

I suppose since I don't fire up the windows machine or the PowerBook that often, I could pop in another video card. That would really expand my desktop.

oh man, get a KVM asap!! or a KM (if they even make those).

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
Buckaroo said:

WOAH!!

I see you are building stuff there, whats the plan?

Jeroen_

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
Hi Noah,

Can you also run those 3 screens in a 2+1 setup (2 extended desktops +1 mirrored)? I'd really like to know!

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
MacNut said:
How does it look when playing a dvd, Does it spit the movie on all 3 screens or would it be too stretched out to watch comfortably.

DVDs don't play on more than one screen. Full screen will only expand the video to fill whatever screen the viwer is on and you cannot manually strech the window.

It's better that way anyway, you can have a movie going on one screen while working on another. I'm watching Aliens on DVD right now. hehe

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Wyvernspirit said:
You would only be able to use 2 9200s in that G5 as the 6800 takes up the AGP and one PCI slot. Hoever if you scale the First video card back to a 9800 and then you could use 3 9200s.

you could replace the cooler with a thinner louder one.

or wait until the x800 is out.

bigdz68

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2004
Bay YAYrea
Jeez I wish I would have seen this thread earlier! I finally got my setup running nice. Using the ATI 9200 PCI to run a 3rd monitor and it works like a charm! Have a 23" Apple Display and 17" Samsung runnin on the NVIDIA 6800 and the 3rd is a Samsung 17" runnin off the ATI card! It sure works nice! Where Im located right now I didnt have room for another 23" otherwise I would have two 23" and then the two 17"s on the outside! One can never have enough real estate! :D

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
im so confused.. i thought the 6800 could have Dual Dual displays.. as in four??

This card includes dual-link DVI connectors to deliver up to 2560 by 1600 resolution over each port. Even better, with two connectors, or Dual dual-link (DDL), you can drive two 30-inch displays, for the ultimate creative canvas.

from apple's site.

Ok.. so why have they written dual dual link? then say only two 30inch?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the 6800 has two dual link DVI ports, not two lots of two DVI ports, regular DVI ports cannot drive the 30" they need dual link DVI ports which double the number of active pins on the ports hence the confusing name

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hector said:
the 6800 has two dual link DVI ports, not two lots of two DVI ports, regular DVI ports cannot drive the 30" they need dual link DVI ports which double the number of active pins on the ports hence the confusing name

AHH! Thank you!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
cb911 said:
oh sweet!!! :D

you're going to have to search for some 3 screen wallpapers now. i know Mandoulx has dual screen walls, but good luck finding 3.

or just make a 3 screen wallpaper -- i mean if you are working on three screens you probably have the skills to do it ;)

azrussell132

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Phoenix Arizona
3 screens in Tiger !!!! looks I just might have to sell the Emac and buy a G4 afterall. In the meantime...I've sort of accomplished the same thing with one Emac and one PC with dual screens. The Emac is in the center and the pc flatscreens are on each side (with Mac desktop screens). I use the Emac 90% of the time and the two pc screens are for viewing TV or using iTunes since the pc is hooked to the Stereo system. What does a person do with 3 screens you may ask?? Anything and everything they want and ALL at the same time without flipping programs back and forth to find what the want. It's ALL on the screen and within reach of your mouse.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
A0390980.jpg

We have 4 of these at work, and 1 at my desk :)

I am talking to our Purchase account manager to see if I can get our discount on this detup.

If I get Final Cut Pro, this will be a nice monitor setup, they are nice, bright, and have good visibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.