Triple Partition

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by moderngamenewb, Feb 21, 2012.

1. moderngamenewb, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Is there a way I can have three partitions on my mac (MBP Mid 2010)? I have my main Mac partition which runs Lion, and my bootcamp partition for Windows 7. Is there a way that I can make a third partition so I can run Snow Leopard on it (there's a couple of games I want to play that are power pc), without screwing up my windows partition? Or will I need to use win clone to make a dmg file of my Windows 7 (or re install), delete the partition, install Snow Leopard partition, then have to partition my mac again for bootcamp? I want to be able to triple boot my Lion, Windows 7, and Snow Leopard

2. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

Make a backup first (!!!) then start your computer from SL's DVD and fire up the Disk Utility from there. Click on your hard drive (not the volume, the drive itself, it should be on the top of the list on the left pane). Then click on the "partition" tab on the right. You will see a large picture which represents your drive partition map. Click on the small "+" under the map. This will create a new partition. You can drag the edge of the new partition to resize it. Give it a name and click "Apply". This will partition the drive. Install SL on it. It might sound a little tricky on words but it is quite easy.

3. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So for the backup, obviously I should back up both the windows side and mac side, but do I need to delete the windows partition after the backup and before partition, or will the partition still work with the windows partition already on (I know I should at least back up to play it safe). Thanks for the partition guide :)

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Be aware that if you repartition a drive with a lot of stuff on it, e.g. 350 gigs on a 1TB drive, Disk utility can take a long time consolidating the data on the old partition into its new, smaller size.
    By long, I mean an hour or three, depending on data and drive speed. The progress bar in the dialog window is not frozen, merely moving very slowly. Be patient, do not interrupt the consolidation process. You will likely regret it if you do.

5. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Right now my Mac side has about 130 gigs left on it, while while windows has like 70 or 80 gigs, on a 500 gb hard drive.

6. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

No, you don't have to delete anything, just make sure to backup everything just in case, bad thing might happen, especially with the repartitioning (sadly, this comes from my experience :( ) ;)

I'm always glad to help ;)

7. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully it'll all work flawlessly, but I'm sure even if I follow the guide, I'll manage to screw it up somehow, haha

8. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

My best wishes ;) Let us know if it worked

9. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do. I just have to find the time to partition. Thought that just occurred though, will it even work because with 10.7.3 (I just remembered) has the other partition to boot lion into recovery mode.

10. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

There shouldn't be any problems with that. The recovery partition is just like any other partition (apart from the fact that it is hidden normally).

A friend of mine installed SL in the same way on his macbook when Lion came out (he wanted to try Lion out but he also needed Rosetta). He also had Bootcamped (what a silly term!) Windows 7 for gaming on the same machine and everything worked great so, once you have a backup, you should have no problems at all

11. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

It worked flawlessly on mine. I just did installed Snow Leopard today. It only took maybe no more than 20 minutes to partition. I'm now running Lion, Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 on my drive :)

12. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

Glad it worked :)

13. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help. It's great that I can now use ppc apps again. I mainly wanted it for a couple of apps that I have that are only ppc and don't want to have to pay for the intel version :)