Triple screen setup.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gbredneck, Dec 6, 2014.

1. gbredneck macrumors member

Currently running a mac mini i7 2.6, with 2 Thunderbolt displays.

I have a spare Displayport Cinema Display, from my old mac setup.

I mainly do support and would love to get a system up and running using the 3 monitors. For the last 3 or 4 months i thought i was sure i wanted a mac pro, then apple released the 5k iMac, and now now i cant make my mind up.

The cost is not really all that important as specced up the way i want it there, there is very little difference between the two (32Gb / 1Tb SSD), except one has the awesome monitor :), and the other has the better CPU.

I do a bit of photography, but the main requirement is the triple monitor thing.

My question is, on a mac pro, can i run 2 x thunderbolt and 1 x display port monitor? With 6 thunderbolt buses i am assuming i can, has anyone tried this?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The nMP actually has 3TB busses, but that's plenty to drive 3 conventional displays. In fact you can drive 6 TB/DP displays.

Here's Apple's official KBA on the subject... http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202801

3. Bwa macrumors 6502

I run 3x30" HP DisplayPort displays on my 2013 Pro. It's fine.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Using a banquet table as a desk? :D :p

5. Bwa macrumors 6502

6. gbredneck thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick post to thank you guys for the input, i just pulled the trigger on the 6 core Xeon machine.

Soon i will be in triple screen heaven!

7. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I only have triple 27" monitors (iMac and two thunderbolts), and when I did the math for how big the desk would have to be I didn't believe it. Checked my math 5 times and had someone else look. Out of curiosity what did you use for your triple 30"? Did you buy something or build something yourself?