Tripod mount that works with Otterbox Defender case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by debudebu, Oct 17, 2011.

1. debudebu macrumors regular

I'd like to keep the 4s in the Otterbox case when taking photos in some harsh outdoor conditions. I have a gorilla pod with the screw on top like this: [​IMG]

Anyone know of a mount that will go around the defender case and allow you to connect it to the tripod? Thanks

2. kathmandu04akit, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

kathmandu04akit macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender tripod option

This DIY method works really well and only requires drilling one hole (so the front facing camera & LED can see out) and filing or sanding that smooth. I used around a 1/2 inch wood bit then rounded & shaped the opening with a file.

It turns out there is a small slot in the plastic on the back, bottom of the clip for the clip stand that a standard camera mount 1/4-20 threaded screw squeezes into nicely. Since it's plastic you wouldn't want to screw & unscrew all that often, but if like me, you don't use the belt clip much you could dedicate it for tripod use. A t-nut could be installed into the clip, as some have done, and used for a better fit but it would limit the clips sans tripod use even more. I also have an iphone gorilla pod and the thread on the quick release plate will work too.

After using this method to set the tripod mounted phone on a table or whatever to; make photos, panoramas, video, talk, stream netflix, listen to music & more. I'm sold on it. Top Camera App is outstanding and, amongst other great features, has a self timer. I set that to 2 seconds so I can take shots that don't wiggle. Blurred photos from phone movement has gotta be the number one reason for ruined shots.

I'm keeping the thing in this rig most of the time except when the phone goes into a pocket. The ultra-pod model I used has a velcro strap so additional to tripod mode it can be lashed to about anything.

Attached Files:

3. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

Looks to be the easiest method I've seen and I'm going to try it. Thanks for taking the time to post that.