Tripod

zioxide

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
So I'm looking to get a tripod (possibly for Christmas). Here at college we have some cheap ass $40 ones and they suck. The legs bend and they aren't good for panning/tilting at all. Back in high school we had some nice Manfrotto tripods so I'm looking to get one of those.

So a quick search on B&H turned up the following:

Bogen/Manfrotto 701RC2 Fluid Video Head

Bogen/Manfrotto 055XDB Tripod Legs

I'm just wondering what some of your thoughts are on these and whether you think they're good choices or not. Thanks.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
From what I hear, the 701 is so-so. It is below the 501 (which I've used and didn't really like). I have a 503 head and it has been great. The 503 is the lowest/cheapest Bogen head that is a true fluid head (even though the others say they are).

It really depends on what you want to do with it and how much you're willing to save up/spend to get the better end result. I have this setup and it has been amazing. I was a film major and used it for a handful of projects paired up with my DVX. For my camera, I couldn't see spending more than $460 on a legs/head combo. For larger cameras, I could definitely see the necessity of a better setup, though.

For home videos, it's probably more than adequate. A few hitches in pan and tilts usually don't go too noticed.

Comment

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I suggest that you try out different tripods before you buy one. A lot of it depends on personal preference - there is no one perfect tripod for everybody, even with an unlimited budget.

- Martin

Comment

zioxide

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
I'd love to move up to the 503 or 503HDV but I'm not sure if I can stretch my budget to fit that right now. So I'm not really sure.

As far as trying them out first, I'd love to but I don't really know of any stores near where I live.

Comment

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
I'm sure the head is great, but I don't particularly care for Manfrotto stands. I really like Velbon or Haikuba, if we're talking a regular tripod (as opposed to say a heavy duty setup like Cartoni/Sachtler).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.