Tripped bottom water sensor, cancel AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shabbis, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Shabbis macrumors regular

My 3GS has never been near any water, yet the sensor on the bottom is pink. So this basically makes my extended AppleCare worthless as Apple will just blame everything on water damage from here on out.

Does anyone know if I can get a refund?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yes, you're AppleCare is now worthless and no, you can not get a refund. It works just like insurance in that way.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Depends on how soon ago you got it. You may be able to.

4. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

Got it the day I purchased my iPhone 3GS, last June. It would be nice to get a refund on something that won't even take effect until next June (and now will never take effect). So, in essence, I paid for a product that will never be used, I would think I could get my money back.

So we have to pay the price for Apple's decision to poorly place the water sensor on the outside of the phone? My last HTC phone had the sensor inside the phone, behind the battery, meaning that the external parts of the phone can take some slight splashing or humidity.

BTW, I owned a 2G iPhone for 2 years before upgrading to the 3GS and haven't used my 3GS any differently, the sensor was never tripped on that phone.

So lesson learned, never purchase extended AppleCare the day you purchase a new Apple product, wait until the day the standard warranty runs out.

5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you're just out of luck,

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.apple.com/r/store/applecare/APPTermsConditions.pdf

7. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This is exactly why I never activate my AppleCare until the day before my original warranty expires.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

OP I would like to send you a private message or email please allow that and I can help you. I am not trying to sell you something.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

See rdowns' post, there's no reason to not activate it as you can get a prorated refund.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Or I can just avoid the trouble all together by not activating it until I need it.

12. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

PM has been enabled.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I generally wait until the warranty is about to expire. Keep in mind that proration will happen from day 91 of ownership when the added phone support kicks in.