Trojan Horse Virus (.exe file) found, problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kkamin, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kkamin macrumors member

I found a PC virus on my mac, I tried to open it absent-mindedly when it downloaded but obviously it wouldn't since it's an .exe file. It's not a threat right? I have Windows on my PC too, but it's on a NTSF partition through Bootcamp and I think that makes it inaccessible for the most part, right? Since the file wouldn't open it couldn't do damage I'm guessing.

I use iAntivirus for my mac and know that it doesn't detect PC viruses. How I found this one was using Avast! while running Windows, and Macdrive allowed it to scan the mac partition. This should be an okay workaround right? Versus buying a mac anti-virus software that addresses PC viruses too.

Thanks,

I'm a new student to the world of anti-virus/spyware/malware.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Your Mac partition is fine, however, you Windows partition might be at risk - if it isn't already infected. Be sure to scan that from within Windows (if you haven't already).

3. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

If it was downloaded on the Mac partition, then it couldn't infect the NTFS as it would be read only. That doesn't mean you don't have a virus on the Windows side. If you downloaded one on the Mac side, your surfing habits show that you are a risk. You should scan the Windows side and be more cautious.

4. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

But if the Window's partition is NTSF read-only it should be inaccessible right?

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Based on your surfing habits, how do you know you didn't get a different infection? If you did it once, you could have done it again.

6. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

I did a scan of OSX and Windows and that was all I found. I was only asking about .exe files that cannot be opened in OSX (I know sometimes programs try to lauch while downloading, you don't need to open them), if they can get over to a NTFS read-only partition. It seems like they couldn't, but just wanted to be sure.