Trojan Horse

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JudithHaden, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JudithHaden, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011

JudithHaden macrumors newbie

Help! A Trojan Horse got into my MacBOok Pro, my Eudora Email program, and was detected by MacScan. Not before it managed to duplicate my Address Book contacts who knows how many times: I have over 38,000 contact and when I try to select all and delete, it shuts down.

How do I get rid of 38,000 contacts? this is NOT a joke!:(:(:confused:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Messed up your font too.

Reinstall OSX and if you have a TM restore from it. If you don't have a backup or TM this would be a good time to consider one.

3. Jrv macrumors regular

I like how the typical response is always, "OMG SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING REINSTALL EVERYTHING!"

Is that how Mac users respond to problems? I just got my Macbook a few days ago but I'm assuming that there is anti-virus software for it?

OP: download an anti-virus program, scan your computer, fix the problem.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

OSx has never had a virus. You do not need an anti-virus program. Most of the ones for Macs are security issue themselves. More likely the OP had an insecure password on e-mail.

A virus scanner can only scan for known viruses; since there are none for OSx, this is a waste of time.

There are trojans, but they require you to give your admin password to install.

----------

I find it hard to believe that the OP has 38,000 contacts.
    and I find it even harder to believe the post anyway.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You should read posts before replying. He clearly said his contacts were duplicated to the point of 38,000.

In any event, if I were OP I'd reinstall. I don't understand how people get trojans/viruses in this day and age.

6. ThirtyThr33, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011

ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Don't mean to hate, but I find this hard to believe. OSX has never had a virus? C'mon bro

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

This is true. There hasn't been a single instance of a virus (i.e. self-replicating malware) on Mac OS X since it has been released in '01.

8. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Please don't tell me you just signed up to post a troll thread.
    If not, upload a pic as an evidence. Like others said, the easiest way to get rid of it is reinstall Mac OS X.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes actually. Not because that's the only way to deal with problems, but because Apple has made it so impossible to deal with the underlying OS that often times it's easier to just reinstall.

There used to be a lot of people on this board who knew the insides of the OS, but they've long since left.

If you feel like it, look under ~user/library/application support/address book and see if you can't delete some there...
    But I am only guessing on that location. I haven't used a mac in about 3 months now.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I did read the post. and I do not believe the OP in the first place; I've never heard of anything that would duplicate contacts in a loop. An antivirus wouldn't do a bit of good since there are no viruses for osx anyway.

The OP has only a single post, and it is not exactly believable anyway.
    I read the post and couldn't decide if it was trying to extoll the virtues (?) of MacScan or
    weakness of Eudora or what.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    You don't have a trojan infecting your Mac. If MacScan detected one, it's a Windows trojan that can't run on or infect your Mac. No Mac OS X trojan that ever existed does what you described. And you don't need to use oversized font... we can read normal text just fine.

12. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Thinking the OP may have a virus, but not on the MacBook.