Trojan or other malware from Limewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The iKid, Jul 19, 2008.

1. The iKid macrumors member

I have used limewire. Long before I realized that it was so wrong. I have downloaded things from it. Is there any way I can get malware from it? I've been kind of nervous because I have become aware of these things and I'm kind of scared. Im pretty young and I can't afford anything happening to my laptop. I don't have a external hard drive to back anything up. What can I do to be sure that I don't have anything? Also because my hard drive changed it's own name by itself to "/" Please help me out guys!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You could get a trojan. You would need to confirm installation with your password, though.

3. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

I really don't think I have but is there any way I can be sure?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there are so many threads already about virii, spyware, trojans etc on OS X, and many threads about anti-virus software - have a look through some of them and you'll find that on OS X you've not much to worry about but that to be certain there are free software solutions such as ClamXav out there for you to scan your system with.

That being said, I am sure you are aware about the other potential consequences of not having some kind of backup scheme in place. Virus (and related) problems are not the only threat - hard drives can (and do) fail at any time and frequently without much warning. If your stuff is important to you, you ought to start with some kind of back up scheme, even if it is as simple as getting a few cdrw/dvd-rw and backing up the essential stuff from your hard drive once in a while....oh yeah!

5. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Only way to be sure, do a clean install with a format :D

As for downloading - stick to torrents and read the comments; you'll find that if there is something untoward happening, there are replies within the first couple of hours of the torrent being made available.

I tend to find that the quality of stuff on torrents is far higher given that the bar of understanding the technology is alot higher - keeps the riff raft and clueless kiddies off.

6. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

A simple scan with ClamXav of your downloads or music folder will find all the malware for you. Anyway, almost all malware from Limewire is Windows-only anyway, as the vast majority of Limewire users are Windows users.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

But if you restore your downloaded files from a backup... BINGO... you haven't solved your problem

An install and format is a waste of time.
    Just do the scan with ClamXav as already suggested and you will be fine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Ok now I'm nervous, my MacBook is now stuck at the apple logo screen I'm going to bring it to the store tomorrow. Anyone know why this is? Please help! Please! Thanks in advance!

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Because apple cant make computers like they used to.

Really i dont know did u do any majour updates? and if it doesnt move hold down the power button and try again then if it doesnt work try again but hold down alt/option

10. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

I've tried everything. I don't have my leopard discs because I returned them after a long issue regarding ilife and leopard.

11. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so wait why did u get rid of ur leopard dics? :eek:

12. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Limewire is one of the best places to get viruses, malware, and trojans. It might not affect your Mac, but you'll have it sitting on your machine to be sure.

13. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

With Limewire on a Mac, you really don't have that much to worry about.

I prefer Skreemr though. :)

(OT: I'm baaaaaaack!)

14. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well yea i guess i use azureus now vuze but it all depends on the torrent like somone else said llook at the comments and impathetic go jump off a bridge :D And as u can tell in my avitar i do it lots!

15. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

well I wanted the features of iLife 08 and the employee and best buy said that that was included in leopard. So I bought leopard assuming I would recieve the iLife update. However after installing it did not. I went back and exchanged it for iLife. He said I could keep leopard however apple may remove it later, apple did not. So now I have iLife and leopard installed but no discs.

16. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Then either go buy it again or downgrade to what you have disks to... I wouldn't want to be without a way to rebuild my machine. At the end of the day you're lucky you are on a Mac because like other posters have said, you would have to find malware for OS X on lime wire (that's a very board hacker who wrote something for OS X and then put it on lime wire) and then you'd have to give it your password to install. If you were installing pirated software from lime wire then you need to just rebuild your OS (on whatever OS you have DISKS for) and then find a more intelligent way to obtain software.

17. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

it came with tiger on it does that mean I have the discs for it?

18. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If it was purchased new, then yes it would have come with (usually) two grey disks that are marked something along the lines of "Software Restore" which will have the necessary software to restore it to the state it was when you pulled it out of the box.

19. pinktank macrumors 6502

limewire as I remember has some adware built in, there should be better alternatives