Trojan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kazkom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. kazkom macrumors newbie

I have a trojan on my intel macbook, its the white one, the basic one. how do i remove a trojan??? as it is sending itself via MSN can anyone help???

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

You sure? Last I checked there was no trojan for Mac.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Since you spare details I'll just tell you to delete MSN and reinstall it. And one last bit, Macs don't get Trojans or Viruses. No really, they don't.

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

What makes you think it is a trojan?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well what kind is it? Lubricated? Non-lube? Intense? Ultrasmooth?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correction: While there are presently no viruses in the wild that affect Macs, there are trojans that Mac users can get, but they have to be actively installed, which involves entering your administrator password.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Simply remove all instances of MSN Messenger or any other MSN compatible Clients.

TEG

8. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

I think it's the ribbed one.

9. kazkom thread starter macrumors newbie

well it is sending itself via msn, and i aint sure what it is, but a pc user said it was a trojan, i looked it up and it is possible. maybe there are such things for macs now. i dont know. maybe we are a different breed. the amount of pc users that dont like macs. i think they enjoy a hard life or something...

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Or maybe a bot cracked your password and is now spamming your buddy list.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is equally likely that someone simply stole your LiveID and is using your ID to send spam. Change your password!!

TEG

12. kazkom thread starter macrumors newbie

what details do u need?

just what it says.... what details do u need? i think its a trojan, but i cant find it anywhere. how would i know? i think its effecting my graphics card.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What makes you think that? Have you installed anything recently?

You aren't giving us anything to work with here.

14. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

You are not even explaining what it is thats happening. What does "it is sending itself via MSN" mean? It's not a trojan, like it has been said many times before there are none and if you really had one you would know it because you have to enable it yourself.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You haven't even described a characteristic of any of the known trojans. You aren't running MSN in windows through bootcamp, fusion or parallels are you? If you are, THEN you have a virus.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Suggestion: DON'T take advice about your Mac from a PC user! They have NO idea how Macs work and their advice will be based on their Windows/virus/trojan/spyware experiences.... which don't relate to Mac OS X.
    Neither viruses (which you don't have) nor trojans (which you probably don't have) affect your graphics card.

Too many new Mac users, when they don't understand something that's going on with their Mac, immediately assume it's a virus or trojan or malware. The probability is extremely high that it's simply something you don't understand. If you give more details about what exactly is happening, perhaps we can help you identify the problem.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If any such "trojans" commonly appeared on Macs then perhaps what you've said would be worth stating, but there's no need in propagating such tales of mysterious trojans on the Mac. Cause they really do nothing but scare people about something that they have virtually no reason to worry about.

I know you're trying to help, but even if you download tons of files from Azeureus or bitorrent or other P2P stuff the chance of getting a Trojan on a Mac is pretty close to 0%.

18. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Your MSN is being used by a bot, and I've had this happen to me before. Change your password, and scour your offline lists for any addresses you don't recognise and remove them.

As for your graphics card, I find that a bit odd. Maybe you were asking it to do too much. Maybe you had an iTunes visualiser running that you forgot about (I know some custom ones eat GPU speed).

And on the subject of viruses, trojans, worms and general malware:
    You will not have a virus. End of. You may have a trojan but the chances are so close to nil I'd wear out my zero key trying to type them in. Worms can't operate in the OS X environment (or so I was told by a technician) and in general malware doesn't work neither.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you think that the possibility of installing a trojan on a Mac is 0%, or that there are only "tales of mysterious trojans", insinuating that they're not real, then you are truly naive. The fact is there ARE trojans in the wild that Mac users can and DO get. While they're not as commonplace as Windows trojans, they DO exist, so it's always worth stating that users should be careful where they get software and what they install.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I second that, and specically DON'T go downloading new codecs for quicktime in order to watch that free adult video.

21. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

you naughty, naughty child! ;)

22. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Really? Oh DAMN! *rushes to cancel download*