Trouble accessing a windows only website

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shawsinio, Sep 1, 2010.

1. shawsinio macrumors regular

Hi all,

I start a new job next week, and I will be doing a professional qualification alongside it. I have work to cover before I start, the information is all on a website. It specifies that you need windows and internet explorer to access the information. I can log in, but when I try to load the information, a new window opens, but the literature doesn't load. It works on a windows PC at the internet cafe however.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could access the information, I have already tried changing the user agent on safari to internet explorer which hasn't helped. Anything I can do short of parallels?!

Thanks in advance.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's possible that the website is using active-x, which won't work on OSx no matter what browser. your only choice may be VM or bootcamp.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unfortunately, there are still a few sites like this out there. One of the banks I use recently merged with another and the new website is only accessible by Internet Explorer on a Windows system. Makes me wonder about other stupid decisions the bank is making!

4. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, seems like a virtual machine may be my only option then. I was looking into downloading VirtualBox, has anyone had any experience with this software? I assume that this should help to solve the issue of the problem website?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's very good. It comes from Sun (now Oracle) so you know it's good, and it's free.