Trouble accessing Time Machine backups from before Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by photogineer, Sep 1, 2014.

1. photogineer macrumors newbie

So, I grabbed PB2 this morning and decided to give it another shot. Since my last test of PB1 had a number of odd glitches I thought I would give the old clean install a try. I made the USB with no issues, booted from it, installed Yosemite and then used Migration Assistant to pull my stuff over from my Time Machine backup. That took all day, but it finished and here I am, getting things up and running again and I noticed my iTunes library is still missing. No big deal I think, I'll just grab the Time Machine backup of it from before I installed Yosemite.

I opened up Finder, navigated to the right spot and entered Time Machine, lo and behold there is a wonderful timeline of hourly backups and then some less frequent ones along the right side of the screen. Great, except they glow red when I mouse over them and I can't select any of them. A little more digging and none of my personal stuff actually made it across, nothing at all, and I can't roll Time Machine back at all.

What gives? Is my data not recoverable now? Am I still going to be able to reboot in to a Time Machine restore to revert to Mavericks if I can't sort this out? It's not the end of the world if I can't (that's not my only up to date backup) but it would be... mighty inconvenient for me.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not using Yosemite, so can't help you there. But yes, you should still be able to option key boot to your TM disk and erase the internal and restore Mavericks along with all your data.