Trouble activating new Verizon 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emgoodman, Oct 14, 2011.

1. emgoodman macrumors regular

As of this posting I've been on hold with Verizon for over 90 mins. I am porting my number from an off contract AT&T 3GS. When I turned on the phone it couldn't activate and stated I needed to call Verizon. I have been bumped from department to department. Most recently been told that the transfer has to go through billing and the wait may be another 50 mins. Not a very good introduction to Verizon. Anyone else going through this?

2. naples09 macrumors member

Nope. My verizon phone activated in less then 3 mins.

3. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I ported from AT&T and my iPhone activated as soon as I powered it on this afternoon. Sorry to hear of your troubles, but it certainly wasn't representative of my experience.

4. Brittanydavie macrumors member

I just got my iPhone in the mail and I did exactly what they told me to do and got the same pop up about how it couldn't be activated on the screen. I haven't called them yet, I'm trying to go through iTunes right now to see if that makes any difference.

5. emgoodman thread starter macrumors regular

Also tried through ITunes but no luck. You might be better of waiting before calling. It basically is wait 30 mins on hold, explain situation to next representative, told after 5 mins that I need to be transferred to another department, wait another 30 mins, rinse and repeat.

6. jena55 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat right now. I have been trying to activate this thing since I got home from work a couple of hours ago. :(

7. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

Same here. Verizon rep in store ported my old ATT number over about 2p this afternoon. SIM on my ATT phone went dead a few minutes later, but 4s ain't got nuthin.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same problem here, porting 2 numbers from AT&T to new 4S on Verizon. Neither will activate, and the *228 tells me neither number is recognized, even though both numbers were confirmed as having been released from AT&T to Verizon (on Verizon's site). And I ordered both phones directly from Verizon, shortly after midnight a week ago, hoping to avoid such issues. *sigh* So for now I basically have 2 iPod Touches. Tried waiting on the phone with Verizon but gave up after 20 minutes. I understand there are going to be some issues with a rollout this large, but as a previous poster said, not really the introduction to Verizon I was looking for.

9. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I ported from Verizon to at&t and it worked and activated in seconds. Didn't have any issues.

10. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

Called Verizon CS and after about 40 minute hold got a gal who figured out the problem, made some changes, had me dial *832 to complete the programming, and all seems to be working.

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well it appears Verizon completely botched my setup. Earlier in the week, I had both numbers I was porting set up (Verizon site verizonwireless.com/port said they had been released by AT&T and were ready to go), now the Verizon port status doesn't have any record of my numbers ("We are sorry, we could not locate a port request for the number that you entered. Please check the number and try again."). Finally got ahold of a customer service rep, she said she had to send me to some "local porting department", and of course, they were closed for the night. I'll call them tomorrow but I'm not getting the feeling I'm in for a fast or easy fix.

Not too impressed so far, Verizon. As bad as AT&T was, I'm beginning to regret switching even before I make my first call. :mad:

12. juandixon109 macrumors member

same boat here!!! loving the new siri ipod though HA