Carrier Trouble adding AT&T Data plan on iPad Air 2 with Apple SIM - NO ICCID

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy78, Nov 10, 2014.

1. macguy78 macrumors member

I recently ordered and received a new iPad air 2 WiFi + Cellular via apple.com. Activating cellular data service on the new device has been a big ball of frustration. On the iPad, I went through the Cellular > AT&T > wizard. After choosing AT&T, I was prompted to sign in. For whatever reason, the email address and password I normally use to sign in to att.com didn't work on the iPad. I currently have 2 phones and an existing iPad on my account. After this failure, I tried calling AT&T cust. svc. to get their help. It didn't go well. The rep asked for the IMEI and ICCID off the Settings > General > About screen.

I provided the IMEI number but the ICCID was blank. The rep said that the SIM card apple provided was faulty and suggested going into an AT&T store to get a new SIM card.

If the ICCID is blank, does that indeed mean that my Apple SIM card is faulty? My guess is 'yes', but it would be nice to get confirmation from someone who knows this stuff before I make a trip to AT&T retail.

2. Achtung macrumors member

Do you see a CSN number?

try this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6629661?start=0&tstart=0

3. Bach2011 macrumors member

I was asked for ICCID when first called T-Mobile too. It seems like this ID will show after the SIM is activated. When I called T-Mobile again, the rep asked for CSN only.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The ICCID should not be blank. Go get the AT&T SIM card and call apple to get a new Apple Sim. You don't want to lock that sim to AT&T anyway.

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm having trouble activating my iPad Air 2 with T-Mobile. I am a first time user. What steps did you go through exactly? When I try to select the plan on my iPad, it gives me an error message and to call T-Mobile directly.

6. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I got an AT&T SIM from an AT&T store rather than try setting up using the Apple SIM. Based on your experience I'm wondering if the Apple SIM will only work if you sign up for a new AT&T prepaid account in the configuration screens.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

I and several others on the forum activated the 200MB T-Mobile plan back when the Air 2 became available. It worked without issues through the menus for me. I guess the problem must be on T-Mobile's end.

I didn't have an ICCID in the About screen either initially (only the CSN). The ICCID became only visible after activating the T-Mobile plan (tapping on the ICCID field now toggles between it and the CSN). Apparently the ICCID is determined when you provision the SIM. It would be interesting to know what happens if two plans are activated at the same time (i.e. if there are separate ICCIDs when you switch the plans).

8. macguy78 thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I did. I picked up a new SIM from AT&T retail and all is good now. I agree with others that the original Apple SIM is probably fine but I think there are limitations with applying it to a preexisting share plan with AT&T.

9. iPutz macrumors member

I ordered my Air2/celluar through Apple to replace an iPad 2 on Verizon. I wanted to add the Air2 to my existing AT&T iPhone data plan. I called AT&T as I was setting up the Air2 and they told me the Apple SIM card number I gave them was not valid. I would need an AT&T SIM card which they would ship me or I could pick up at an AT&T store.

I got it, it works fine but I'm left feeling that AT&T doesn't know what's going on.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

When I moved my unlimited service from the Air to my Air 2, ATT asked for the SIM card number and I told her the was no such thing listed. I tip old her that she must need the CSN number but she had never heard of it. She talked to her supervisor and I gave them the CSN number and I was good to know.

Do not think that ATT did any training about the new Apple SIM.

11. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

It may be that there is a limitation applying ANY SIM card to a pre-existing share plan. I had a problem with my 10-month old iPad Air; wouldn't connect to ATT LTE, only to 4G. Took device to Apple Genius Bar - good service, iPad swapped for a new one after diagnostic report showed cellular drop-outs. Left store w/ new iPad Air (but with old SIM installed). Same problem! Apple tech said to replace SIM at ATT store. Sim replaced at ATT Store, same problem!!. The manager at ATT Store took over, said that SIM wouldn't connect to a pre-existing account with other devices. He did a work-around, activated SIM on a dummy account, then had central office re-assign the iPad to my account.

The common thread here seems to be that Apple's SIM and ATT's SIM have a problem activating on a pre-existing plan device.

I think that the bigger issue is the use of SIMs at all. It's clear that Apple is trying to move the carriers to eliminate SIMs completely. I'm all for it; SIMs are a PITA and are prone to go bad.