Trouble after MBP crashed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, May 25, 2013.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have a early 2011 13mbp (ML) with dual HDD (m4 in original bay and another HDD in optical bay).

I was playing Sixtyforce(n64 emu) and it crashed so I had to force restart it. Wen it restarts, just white screen. I tried press option when I force restart but nothing happens. Tried several more times and there's a question mark on a folder. Did some google-ing and it says my Mac can't find the proper software to boot. Pulled out the ssd and place it in an enclosure to try it on another Mac. Opened disk utilises but it doesn't see the ssd.

Place the ssd back to my Mac then tried command r (Internet recovery) then tried disk manager, it sees the ssd but the verity and repaid button is grey out. Tried TM restore but it sees nothing even though it backup. Check my wife's TM and it sees the Lion backup.

Tried install new os but it says something like it couldn't be installed. Please restart the application.

I'm out of option!

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmmm... from what you've described, it sounds like the SSD may have failed. Have you tried going back to the normal HDD setup? Can the Mac see that drive?

3. gngan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Crucial asked me to power cycle it but how do I do it when I press option, it won't go into the screen that let you choose which disk to boot. It goes straight into recovery mode.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't know if it's the same for solid state, but I've gotten the folder with my HDD. Usually it indicates an issue with the hard drive or a hard drive cable failure. The Genius Bar or an authorized service provider can run a test to determine what the issue is. Hopefully it's just the cable :)

5. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I have successfully install Lion then upgrade to ML with another HDD. So it's the SSD that failed.

However, whenever I tried to use Migration Assistant to import all my stuff from wireless TM, it wouldn't connect. But when I check the HDD by going into the the TM backup files, everything is in there.

What the hell?

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The hard drive cable will sometimes burn out after a hard restart. I've had the same issue and read about others too.

7. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

That's new to me. I am going to send it to Crucial and see what they say. Half a year and it's dead? Don't you think that's a bit fast.