trouble after restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by perlmn, Nov 30, 2010.

1. perlmn macrumors newbie

Guys

Today I connected my iphone 3G to my laptop itune. I was running on 3.x version of ios and saw that "upgrade is available" for 4.2 version of ios.
    When upgrading , process was stuck at "backing up iphone" screen therefore after googling a bit i found that solution was to restore to upgrade OS version.

Now upgrade went fine however after iphone was rebooted , my sim card is not being recognized by iphone and while trying to connect to itune i keep getting message that "sim card is not supported"

All I can see on iphone is "Emergency call" and some chinese characters

What has happened to my iphone ? any help will be greately appreciated

Thanks
    perl

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

Was your phone previously unlocked? (Before all of this updating)

3. perlmn thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it was unlocked, I have been using it since last 3 months without any problem, however I have no idea how was it unlocked by previous iphone user

4. markphone macrumors newbie

Unlock iPhone

You must contact to the officials of iphone appliances or directly go to the Show room or service center and remember one thing warranty voids if you try to open it so never do such thing.:)

5. perlmn thread starter macrumors newbie

well I brought this phone from one person in USA few months back and I am in India currently. This is used phone and there is no warranty , is there any other way to make the phone work ?

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

Was it 'officially unlocked' or simply unlocked using something like ultrasn0w? ie. was it Jailbroken when you received it?

7. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

If it is not factory unlocked you will have to download a program called redsn0w, it jailbreaks your phone. And unfortunately you are going to have to update your baseband to the ipad's baseband. Read about this in the following link.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

I would also google a bunch of tutorial on text and youtube. You don't seem up to date on the jailbreak situation. You can't just update the firmware, you have an unlock, in which case you have to hold off on updating when a firmware version comes out.

8. perlmn thread starter macrumors newbie

actually I just found the iphone up for the sell on a website and contacted the owner , he told the that iphone was 'unlocked' and when I inserted sim card ( sim card from india) it was working fine so i bought the phone from him.
    I have no idea how was it 'unlocked'

any help to fix this will be greately appreciated

Thanks
    perl

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

Not true if it's unlocked by Apple (via the carrier). My iPhone 4 is unlocked allowing me to Jailbreak, update, and switch SIMs as I choose. Never used an unlocking exploit - iTunes does it upon restore.

10. andy9l macrumors 68000

I would suggest contacting the seller again. It was either exploited or unlocked officially. If the phone was from the US, it's likely that the unlock was done via an exploit.

11. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

If you live in India and use an Indian carrier, they will factory unlock it for you I presume.

12. perlmn thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that mean there is no way I myself can ulock the iphone ?
    Is it ok to try some jailbreak software like redsn0w or any other software?.
    Any way I do not have warranty for iphone so what happens if I use any jailbreak software and if it can not unlock the phone ? can it worsen the problem ?

thanks for yoru valuable inputs
    -perl

13. andy9l macrumors 68000

With 4.2.1 the Jailbreak and unlock exploits are extremely young. If possible, you should wait maybe a month or two before looking into it. If you really can't wait there are ways to tether Jailbreak your iPhone (requires you to plug into your PC/Mac to turn on your phone) and unlock it.

The current unlock for 4.2.1 requires you to install an iPad baseband onto your iPhone. This permanently voids your warranty and prevents you from ever being able to update your baseband again - potentially bricking(?) your iPhone if you come across any similar problems in the future.

Just read as much as you can on this website to get an idea of what's ahead of you.