Trouble After Upgrading 13" MBP 2012 to 16GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by regalme, Oct 27, 2012.

1. regalme macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" that came with 4GB ram (2GB x 2)

I bought a Corsair 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 1600mhz

After installing, the mac locks up after a few minutes of use, horizontal lines on the screen. I've used the mac hardware tester and the same thing happens, just the horizontal lines are thicker.

So for testing I used ever combination of the 4 modules I know have, and the only one that duplicates the problem is when the 2 8GB modules are installed.

I've tried, 8GB + 2GB, swapping out trying each 8GB module, no problems.
    Tried each of the 8GB modules by them selves and no problem.

Whenever the two 8GB are installed I get the crashes, it even crashes the hardware tester.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I have read stories like that here on MR, seems to be a problem with certain memory, other branded RAM seems to solve problems.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1

Most likely a bad RAM stick.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just a couple of days or weeks(can't remember) there was a post which had exactly the same problem, he exchanged for a different brand and the problem was solved, it's not the stick which gives the problem, it is a problem when you combine them, he said it works with one stick, any of them just not combined.

6. regalme thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I thought I was doing right by ordering the Corsair Vengeance, it seems to be what most people are using.

7. michial macrumors 6502

michial

SO is Corsair not a good option? I was just about to buy 8GB from Amazon for $40.00

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Corsair and most other options are just fine. It seems that every manufacturer has a non-insignificant number of bad sticks that make it into the wild. I got a bad G-Skill stick last week in one install & two perfect Corsair sticks in another. Replaced the bad G-Skill stick with a perfect PNY stick. If you read all the reviews on the various sites, the only commonly available discount sticks that seem to have a significantly higher than average failure rate are the Komputerbay ones available on Amazon.

9. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

I put in 16GB (8GBx2) of Corsair Vengence (1600Mhz) into my mid 2012 cMBP with no problems. Maybe you just got a bad stick of RAM.

10. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Definitely exchange your RAM. I had this problem to, and didn't even know it. I upgraded to 8GB of RAM, and everything was fine and dandy until I would use all 8GB of RAM. Then everything went to hell and I had the same problems you do. After I downgraded to 4GB RAM again :( everything was fine. So return your RAM before it's too late!

11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Always a good idea to run a couple of MemTest passes after upgrading RAM.