trouble booting up an ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jwhMac28, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jwhMac28 macrumors member

i have an ibook g4, and was using it just fine the other night, then when i came back to it a few minutes later it had shut off completely. now when i boot up, the computer freezes at the spinning gear startup screen or at the blank blue screen immediately after the spinning gear. it will boot in single user mode, but it won't boot up with my os x install disc. does anyone know any unix i could try to use to get my mac up and running again, or has anyone had this same problem and knows a fix for it? thanks for your help

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If it boots into Single User Mode, you should definitely check the disk structure with the fsck command (file system check).

If this is your first time using UNIX, I recommend using the -f option but NOT the -y option with the fsck command. If you are an experienced user, and know what might happen if you use -y then feel free to add it.

UNIX newbie:
    Code:
    fsck -f
    UNIX expert:
    Code:
    fsck -fy
    Note that when specifying multiple argumentless options only one - is needed.

3. jwhMac28 thread starter macrumors member

actually i've tried that already, both -f and -fy, but it keeps saying the file system appears ok. then i'll type "reboot" and it will keep freezing up.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Now would be a good time to run the Apple Hardware Test disc that came with your Mac. Refer to the instruction manual for how to invoke it - it's different for each model.

5. jwhMac28 thread starter macrumors member

yikes... the hardware test isn't working, it keeps freezing up. i have completely erased my hard drive (via target disk mode from a buddy's mac) and the install disc still won't boot on the computer. any other suggestions before i have to pronounce it?

6. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

You could try replacing the hard drive, I guess, but I wouldn't place too much hope in this iBook. It sounds like it's in trouble. Was in running on battery or AC adapter?

Another option would be to try to firewire-boot, or firewire-install OS X. Might work.

7. jwhMac28 thread starter macrumors member

wow... i just re-installed os x (via firewire) and i'm still getting stuck at the spinning gear. seems almost 100% that it's a hardware issue. if only my hardware test disc would run properly... what a catch-22, haha

8. NewMacguyibook macrumors newbie

Ever get this problem fixed???

I think I might have the same problem::(

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect a hardware issue - perhaps a dying hard drive.