Trouble choosing a major.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iAmAzN, Jan 21, 2009.

1. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

So I will be entering my sophomore year of college in the fall but as of right now, I'm 50/50 on choosing a major. I hope to either go into chemical engineering or computer science (programming). I was wondering if anyone here is/are in any of these fields so I can get a perspective on that? Like, what sort of traits or qualities I should have (ie. patience, uber math skills, etc.) or how rigorous work schedules are? Any other information regarding either of the fields would be extremely helpful!

Thanks for the help! :D

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't think Chemical Engineering would rule out a advanced programming job, since it is likely a skill you might need for some of the jobs.

Can always bone up on the programming classes while taking the Chemical Eng. courses.

I took a minor in business while I was taking engineering classes, and it definitely was a welcome break... would have liked to take some of the advanced programming classes but didn't have the time.

3. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I'm a computer science major, and an applied physics minor. I was 50/50 tell this semester when I basically said "computer science is way more fun lets go with that." I mean work is 1/3 your life after college so why not like it.

Pick the one that's the most entertaining to you and go with it. Both look promising.

Edit: I have a crap load of math courses right now, I hate the pre-rec's :(. I also have a lot a physic's (and I can't figure out why :) )

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Couldn't tell you what to pick, since I was a liberal arts major. But I would say speak to an advisor, and go with whichever one you enjoy most.