Trouble Cloning Momentus XT W/ Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tydog07, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

For a few days now I have been trying to clone my internal HDD onto my new Momentus XT drive that I'm going to swap into my macbook. I have cloned the momentus twice now, once it ran in target disk mode and this time it didn't. The first time I ran it in Target Disk Mode, it worked and then I proceeded to swap out the drives but it didn't boot, all I got was the white screen. I have now formatted the drive and cloned using Carbon Copy Cloner and it won't work in target disk mode.

What settings do I need to use in order for this to work? I have everything backed up on another drive with time-machine, so what things could I possibly be doing wrong? Am I possibly not using target disk mode correctly?

I have already googled my issue and couldn't find anything expect for using the disk utility to erase the drive and choose the modify and archive setting in CC Cloner.

2. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump…I'm recloning the drive, I formatted on Disk Utility using the Mac OS X extended journaled option and I choose the option that archives and deletes files on Carbon Copy Cloner. How do I check that the drive is GUID? And how do I use Target Disk mode? I have used disk utility to restart it and I have done the tap T button when rebooting, both give me the thunderbolt and FW logo bouncing around the screen.

I didn't see anywhere on Carbon Copy Cloner that the drive would be bootable, but it didn't say anywhere that the drive wouldn't be bootable either.

Help please! I only want to open my macbook once more!

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

You shouldn't need target disk mode?
    I dunno, the way I did it (a few days ago!):

1-Plug momentus into external enclosure
    2-Hook that up to the macbook
    3-Use disk utility to format it (GUID should show in the bottom of disk until if you select the disk. If it's not GUID, I think you'll want the "Partition" tab, partition it as you see fit (or just redo it as it is), but click on "options" and in there it gives you the options for MBR, GUID, and the other one)
    4-Fire up carbon copy cloner (quit everything else, just in case it messes with anything)
    5-Select the old internal drive as the "source", and the external/momentus as the destination
    6-press go
    7-wait
    8-turn everything off
    9-crack the macbook open and install the speedy new drive
    10-boot up, check everything works, fill it up with all the crap you had been storing on externals

5. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Oh yea, resetting the NVRAM after installing the drive might help if it's still not working, hold the N, V, option and command keys when you turn it on, wait for the second booooong noise, then let them go.
    Or, put the old drive in an enclosure (with the momentus installed internally), and boot from that, and use disk utility on there to check/test the momentus

6. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using target disk mode to test the drive to make sure it is bootable, I don't like to open up the macbook more than I have too. I've followed your instructions the last time am I doing that this time as well and I just verified that it is indeed GUID partition table, although smart isn't enabled, is that a problem? Once this cloning is done, I'll try again using target disk mode.

I'll try resetting the NVRAM but shouldn't it still be running in Target Disk Mode without doing that if it is properly setup? I should try installing the momentus and use the old drive through target disk mode, why didn't I think of that!?

I am using the computer while cloning, I wonder if that is the issue.

7. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another failed cloning, when it finished, I tried it in target disk mode and all I got was the thunderbolt/Firewire icon moving around the white screen. I will try super duper tonight and will not use the computer during the cloning.

Something weird I keep noticing is that When Carbon Copy Cloner finishes, my cloned drive has 7GB less than the internal HDD, what is that for?

8. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Just re-reading your post, if you want to boot up off your attached cloned drive. Press option during boot up and choose the external drive, rather than using target disk mode.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Is the original drive now OUTSIDE, in an external case (or hooked up via a dongle, etc.)?

Is the XT drive INSIDE?

To boot from the original (outside) drive, do this:
    1. Shut down the computer, COMPLETELY OFF
    2. Make sure power is applied to the external drive
    3. Power on, and IMMEDIATELY hold down the "option" key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    4. In a few moments, the "Startup Manager" will appear onscreen
    5. You should see icons for both the internal and external drives. You can use the left/right arrow keys to switch between them. After you have selected the one you want to boot from (in this case, the external drive), press the enter/return key
    6. The computer will boot from that drive
    NOTE: Using the Startup Manager DOES NOT change the setting you have selected in the "Startup Disk" preference pane. The Mac reverts back to that setting at the next startup.

"Target disk mode" is NOT what you want to use here.

My suggestions:

Once you have mastered the above technique, and can boot successfully from your OLD drive (which is now the external drive), you might try this:
    a. Boot from the OLD/EXTERNAL drive
    b. Use Disk Utility to erase the internal
    c. Use CarbonCopyCloner to "clone over" the contents of the external to the internal
    d. When done, disconnect the external and try to boot from the internal (XT) drive.

10. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh man, that worked like a charm! It booted perfectly! I then switched out the drive and it worked like a charm! I don't know why it wasn't working before with Target Disk Mode, but using the option key method at boot up worked! Thank you so much! I'm happily using my new hard drive now!

11. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aperture problems

Great, for some reason now aperture doesn't know where my pictures are and I can't edit them because the "media is offline". I found all my pictures in the pictures folder, so they are on the HDD (phew!) so what do I have to do to make aperture recognize them?