Trouble combining multiple Word docs into single doc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dnjnyc, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dnjnyc macrumors newbie

I am running Snow Leopard and Word 2008. I have 8 separate Word files that I need to combine into a single Word file. I've tried the Insert-->File command, and the Merge files command. Each time, though, the formatting goes to hell. It would take forever to fix, and I'm pressed for time.

Is there a way to fix this? I don't know the Styles concept well, but I suspect the trouble is there. Perhaps all the docs' Styles need to be made the same first? I really don't know. Also I've tried Section and Page breaks in the imported docs, but the same mess happens.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

2. dnjnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks. I forgot to say, I also tried good old copy and paste, doc by doc -- same awful results. Footnotes were suddenly huge (some, not all), footnote numbers not superscript anymore (text and notes), fonts randomly changed, tables scrambled, etc. It's mind-boggling.

And yes, I Googled till 2 in the morning before I posted. Does anyone know the deeper mysteries of Word??

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you try the "Paste Special" options that attempt to keep the formatting? It doesn't work every time, but sometimes it's better than the standard Paste.

4. dnjnyc thread starter macrumors newbie