trouble connecting IMac to LAN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacTechWannabe, May 21, 2008.

1. MacTechWannabe macrumors newbie

Did A search so please forgive me if it's been covered. If it has, a link to the thread would be greatly appreciated.

Some background. I work in a SMALL company. 4 people. I have, by necessity, taken on the role of IT guy. However I'm fairly green. We purchased a new Imac yesterday. Transfered files, user info, etc. from a G5 tower.

My problem. I cannot get the IMac to connect to our network. Ethernet line is in, I've entered all the IP, subnet mask, router #'s from the old box, but I get nothing. I've tried to let it set up automatically with no luck. What am I missing? Is this an issue with me, or is it a Leopard issue? This is the only Leopard machine we have.

Thanks in advance for helping. If you need more info let me know.

MacTechWannabe

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

A couple questions to better focus your problem:
    What do you mean with
    ? What are you trying to over the network? Can you ping the router(or any other machine on the network) from the iMac?

Do you connect to the router/switch? Does the light on the router/switch turn on when you connect the cable?

3. MacTechWannabe thread starter macrumors newbie

We are connected through a switch and our internet and server are connected through this switch. I can access neither. The light on the router shows activity but the light is blinking quite fast and consistent compared to the others.

After plugging in IP address, etc. in DHCP it says Ethernet is connected. However, if I open Safari, it says I'm not cnnected to the internet. Internet diagnostics was fruitless. Also, even after clicking the lock to prevent changes, if I restart it self-assigns a new IP address and subnet mask. Then it says under Built-in Ethernet that a self assigned IP address is used and may not connect.

Does this help?

4. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

When I get a self-assigned IP at home I unplug my DSL modem and wireless router and then restart my DSL connection then my wireless router. This usually takes care of everything.

5. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

run network diagnostics. This will tell you were the problem is and post back please...Are you plugging into the router or the switch? the Wan port should be connected to the cable modem/dsl box.

Your router should automatically assign an ip address to your iMac.

--Eric

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If you have any network security in place, it may need to be adjusted. For example, I limit the number of distributable IP address to the number of machines on the network. You may have to bump that number up. And/or, you may have a setting that only permits certain MAC addresses. If you permit access based on the MAC address of the network card, the new machine will have to be added to the list.

7. MacTechWannabe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here's what I did. I powered down the switch, firewall, and Mac for about 5min, then started powering on firewall, then switch, then Mac. This solved the problem.

MacTechWannabe

Edit: Also, while trying to figure this out, I had changed the "location" from automatic. This was changed back to automatic for the procedure above. I'm sure this was part of the issue.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That could be. And sometimes, the routers and modems just needs a reset in order to pick up on the fact that a new computer has been attached.

Glad you're good to go. I hope your office likes the new iMac.